Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C_Johan_V_Ekman
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Possible to use Formulas for PowerPoint Graphs ?

Hi, 

I have created simple "normal" formulas that works fine when the tag is placed "openly" on the powerpoint (Like a "KPI").
Exmaple value 120. Displayed on preview fine as a KPI. 

However, when trying to use the tag inside a bar chart (Edit data on chart -> Opens excel -> Add tag where value of bar should be) to generate a bar it lays "dormant" / "inactivated" when previeing the powerpoint. On the previewed PPT I open the bar chart by editing data to find that the tag is there but have not generated the value of 120. Just the tag in text. 

Is it not possible to use formula "tags" in edit data (excels) in powerpoint graphs?
Using table tags and cell tags works fine but those are of course reliable on created objects in QLikview / Sense. Would like to not be dependant on created objects in apps in this case hence using formulas. 

Possible - no yes why? 😃 

Labels (1)
11 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @C_Johan_V_Ekman 

Can you show some screenshots of following to demonstrate your steps to reproduce and a mock up of desired results:

• Your template editor and what you mean by "when trying to use the tag inside a bar chart (Edit data on chart -> Opens excel -> Add tag where value of bar should be)"
  • What you are experiencing (snapshots of any error or other that might help use to understand your requirement better)
  • What your expectations for output are (mockup if possible)

Are you trying to create a MS pptx chart with QV or QS data? Something else? 

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
C_Johan_V_Ekman
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Hi @Frank_S  !

Thanks for your reply. I have attached a screenshot when in edit template mode. 

1. You see in the formulas the one red marked called "Passengers" I am trying to use. 
2. This formula can be seen as well in the edit formula window. Using a Qlikview App "Operations". 
3. "Passengers" are also used directly on the report. See red marked upper right corner.
When previewing it generates the correct number. ex: 45 000
4. The goal / ambition was to use this tag /forumla "Passengers" in a PPT chart. See red marked chart and the "edit data" window open where the tag is used.
5. The chart should generate a bar with the value of 45 000 like the KPI in preview. But it is not "activated" or generating a number. No errors and no value. Just the tag <Passengers> is seen in preview mode. 

Trying any other formulas in the bar chart is producing the same "nothingness". Just the tag name in text when previewing. When using "tables" or "cells" "tags" and not formulas into bar chart works fine. But In this case I want to use the formula for simplicity of NOT creating an underlying object in a Qlikview app. 

So, in short. the Formula works fine on the report but not when used to generate chart values. Expected outcome should be a bar with 45 000 in value. 

The app connection works fine. The filtering on all levels for the report is minimal and works fine.

Thanks for your suport

Frank_S
Support
Support

HI @C_Johan_V_Ekman 

NPrinting Designer is not really the best place to build charts. It is designed to best leverage charts built in QVWs and QVFs. 

NP designer won't be able to fluidly utilize formulas in the method you are proposing.

I would recommend that you insert a chart with the formula information you require into your source QVW or QVF application, reload your NP metadata to the QVW or QVF. You will then be able to leverage the formulas you required as chart fields effectively.

Other's might have other solutions for you here in the community conversation...but as far as best practices, I would go with building charts using formulas that you need as columns in your source QVW or QVF.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
pwagner
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello @Frank_S 

I tried your idea:

"I would recommend that you insert a chart with the formula information you require into your source QVW or QVF application, reload your NP metadata to the QVW or QVF. You will then be able to leverage the formulas you required as chart fields effectively."

I put a table into an excel of an power point chart. 

But it does not work. 

pwagner_0-1641906261268.png

Have I misunderstood your idea?

@C_Johan_V_Ekman 

What was your solution in this topic?

Thank you.

Best regards, Patrick

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

You have to drag and drop table tags in the PowerPoint template directly. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
pwagner
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

So I cannot add tables, columns, formulas or cells into an excel of a power point chart, correct?

Best regards, Patrick

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @pwagner 

As Ruggero said - you can only drag table column tags into PowerPoint (Excel entry for chart) and this process is described in help document.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/PowerPointReports/Chart-Native-Table...

So for the purpose  shown on your screenshot in this topic you would have to create a single table in Qlik using either ValueList() or island field as dimension  and measure in such as Pick(RowNo().....1 st measure, 2nd measure, 3rd measure) or similar concept. 

Cells, Variables, Levels, Pages, images and Formulas are not supported there!

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
pwagner
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Thank you @Lech_Miszkiewicz 

A single table with one dimension and one measure, correct?

pwagner
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

@Lech_Miszkiewicz 
I created the table in Qlik Sense.

With the dimension and the pick-measure.

Unfortunately it does not work in the excel for the power point chart.

pwagner_0-1641975576115.png

What should I change that it works?

Best regards, Patrick