Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Purushothaman
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Qlik Npriting Error: Only a single Instance of QlikNpriting Designer Can Run

Hi Experts,

I have this error keep populating, though I have checked Only One designer is running in Windows. Don't know how to resolve it. Any one can help.

Thank you!

Purushothaman_0-1625807545638.png

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
andriesb
Creator II
Creator II

Having excel already open and  in edit mode, will also cause the Nprinting designer to crash prior to opening. In my opinion the designer  is not stable at all as I quite frequently had to kill the process manually within task manager. 

The process to kill  could not be found as a process but only within the taskmanager details tab : NPrintingdesigner.exe 

Compared to the old v16 Nprinting that Qlik bought and turned into their own web version made NPrinting al least 10x slower withinin all designing actions !

View solution in original post

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Metadata reload was mandatory also on QlikView NPrinting 16 and it was single-tread, single-engine, and file based whereas the 17+ is multi-tread, multi-engine, and stores data in a database. If your installation of Qlik NPrinting 17+ is slower than 16 I suggest you investigate the usage of hardware resources. Maybe you have to increase them.

If you are connecting to a QlikView server check also its usage of hardware resources. If you are using local connections move to a server one.

There are also optimizations suggested to speed up the creation of huge reports already shared multiple times here in the community. Those optimizations could be useful in your scenario.

QlikView NPrinting 16 is out of support since March 2020. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

You get this error because you are trying to edit another report when you already have one opened in NPrinting designer. 

First you have to close NPrinitng designer (have no instances running at all) and only then you can click "Edit Template" which will open NPrinting Designer wit the report you wish to edit.

If you wish to edit another report, you first need to close the instance of designer which you currently have opene.

This is working as designed!

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Purushothaman
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

I tried your suggestion, its not working. Even I closed all browsers, cleared my cache, restarted all QlikNprinting services and restarted my laptop. but still same issue happening.

Adding an extra info about my environment:

I have recently upgraded my Qlik NPrinting from Feb 2021 to May 2021. I facing this error while I edit the report and also I noticed while my designer attempt to open while editing report  its opening on Feb 2021 from there the error message popping out. 

Don't  know what is the issue.  Please help.

Thank you

Frank_S
Support
Support

If you look in the task manager @Purushothaman you will notice that there is an nprinting designer executible in memory. To remove it I suggest to completely restart your computer.
The NP designer should open normally after doing so.

Also note that if you upgraded your designer only, this is not supported.

The NP designer and NP server MUST be the same version at all times.
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/System-requirem...

• Qlik NPrinting Designer must be the same version as Qlik NPrinting Server.
Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Foltz9
Contributor
Contributor

This is because you can have only a single instance of Qlik NPrinting Designer open at a time on a computer and you are trying to open a second. - if you have not a Designer opened check the Windows processes and kill the one related with the Designer.

Frank_S
Support
Support

One more thing @Purushothaman

I've seen this just recently (late last week in fact) and the problem in that case was that the MS office was not licensed.

Please ensure you are using a licensed/activated/supported copy of MS Office and that the version of NP Designer is the same version as NP server.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Purushothaman
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi @Frank_S ,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have noticed that,  My Nprinting designer is not opening while I am editing excel based report, however it is working fine with power point, Word and HTML.

I even tried of adding Excel template to the report, but still not opening. 

Can you help me with your expertise? Thank you!

Frank_S
Support
Support

Then you should make sure as per my previous comments and below as well:

• all NP designer requirements are met fully
  • uninstall office
  • uninstall nprinting
  • reinstall office
  • reinstall nprinting

If the issue persists, please start a support request with the Qlik Support Desk.

Purushothaman
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

@Frank_S  Thank you, I will do that. 

Frank_S
Support
Support

No Worries!