cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jscelsix
Contributor
Contributor

Qlik Sense NPrinting - Connection Cache

I successfully reload metadata & generate a connection cache.

When I go to report to edit, I get the message  'You must generate the cache for the app  XXX before editing the report template' message.

I made a modification on the Qlik Sense object and want to reload the metadata to modify on an existing report.

Using Nprinting version 17.1.3. Getting ready to update to current version in April 2020, but unfortunately I still need to support an old version.

This just started occurring and only on this one connect.

Thoughts? 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Reply
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @jscelsix 

First of all, you need to know that you must NOT upgrade from 17.1. 3 directly to the latest version of NPrinting.  See archived article: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/17.3/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Upgrading.htm

If the installed version of Qlik NPrinting 17 is on the service release track, you must upgrade to each successive service release, for example, from 17.0.1 to 17.0.2 to 17.0.3 etc. However, if the installed version is the final service release before a feature (point) release, you may upgrade to the feature release directly, for example, from 17.0.5 to 17.1. if 17.0.5 is the final service release

You must not upgrade from 17.0.5 to 17.2. The previous feature release 17.1 must be installed before upgrading to 17.2 for example.

Your upgrade path is very long since you must upgrade to every intermediary version of NPrinting right up to 17.2.1

One you upgraded each version until you get to NP 17.2.1, then you must upgrade to 17.3.

One you reach 17.3, you can then safely upgrade to the latest release of NPrinting.

Why? 

• Starting from Qlik NPrinting 17.2.1, the Qlik NPrinting Server upgrade process removes RabbitMQ and replace it with the Qlik NPrinting Messaging Service. It is not possible to keep RabbitMQ installed on the same computer of Qlik NPrinting Server 17.2.1 or newer also if it is used by other services than Qlik NPrinting.
  • Tables are updated differently in early versions (such that you are running NP 17.1.3 of NPrinting which require you to upgrade to each individual general public release and each individual service releases associated with the general release

Now regarding your reported issue:

• if you have generated the cache and you still have the message reported, this means you have another failed connection in the NP app which has your successful connection. See this article to resolve: https://support.qlik.com/articles/000056301

If the issue persists, you will need to follow the upgrade process suggested above so you can get working with a supported version of NPrinting. If after upgrading and if the issue still persists while all unsupported items are removed, you should start a support request with Qlik Support or your Qlik Support partner. (please note that the version of NPrinting you are working with has official support ended several years ago.)

I urge you to make sure to take a good backup of your NP database before beginning the upgrade process in case you need to roll back. See https://support.qlik.com/articles/000032251 for details.

Kind regards.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!