Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPoismans
Partner - Contributor III

QlikView reports - Looping chart

Hi all

We're currently facing an issue where we have a report build in QlikView and we're using that report with a loop (loop applied in QlikView) to send out a report through NPrinting.

Problem is, the field we need to use for the loop has about 1265 possible values. But for most of those values, the table we're reporting is empty, so NPrinting only shows the headers of the table.

Question is: Is it possible to remove the headers from the report? In other words, if there is no data for the selected loop value, can you hide/not show the table? The useless pages (roughly 1240) are clogging the report and are making it difficult to even use the report.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tim P.

10 Replies
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

What do you mean with "loop"? Have you added the field in the Level or Page node? Of what kind of template?

Instead of adding the field, create a table box in the source QlikView document with only the values of the field that have data. Save the QVW, re-generate the connection cache, close and reopen the Designer than remove the field from the Level or Page node and add the new table box.

This will generate a table only for the values in the table box.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
TPoismans
Author

Hi Ruggero,

With "loop" I mean the Page Setting 'Banding' (Loop page over possible values in field). This is a setting within QlikView:
NPrinting_reduced_table.png

But the field [Voertuig Nummerplaat] contains 1265 possible values, of which only  roughly 24 are relevant to this report. The other values won't show any data in the table and will show an empty page with the headers you can see in the screenshot.

The thing is, the roughly 24 values aren't always the same 24 values, but the amount is always roughly 24. So making a table with the values of today, won't give the right result tomorrow.

That is why I want to hide/not show the tables (table headers) when there's nothing to show for a value from the field [Voertuig Nummerplaat].

Regards,
Tim P.

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi, 

I'm not certain if this will work for you but you can look at this solution as it appears to be a similar requirement to yours.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/NPrinting-Empty-Levels/m-p/993600#911718

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
TPoismans
Author

Hi Frank

I already found that article/discussion, but sadly, they're building the report in the Excel template editor of NPrinting. The report I'm sending out is PDF, but the report is a report object created in QlikView.

Thanks for the help though.

Tim P.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

This is not Qlik NPrinting, you are using QlikView reporting tool. I suggest you to post your question in the QlikView community or to create the report by using Qlik NPrinting (that needs its license).

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
TPoismans
Author

Hi Ruggero

This is Qlik NPrinting. Yes, I'm using the reporting tool from QlikView to create the report, but the file that's being sent out, is still being created by NPrinting.

I was just wondering if there was an out of the box option that could hide a table header when there was no data in it without diving into the template editor.

As such a thing doesn't seem to exist, I most likely going to re-create the report with the NPrinting template editor.

Kind regards,
Tim P.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Yes, as general rule, if you are using Qlik NPrinting, it is better to create report templates in Qlik NPrinting instead of using the native QlikView Reporting editor. 

QlikView reports are supported by Qlik NPrinting QlikEntity reports to help people that already developed them to reuse.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
TPoismans
Author

The report I'm using was a report that was already developed within QlikView. We recently made the "upgrade" to Qlik NPrinting for the distribution of the reports.

The report was being sent out correctly before, but with the change to NPrinting, it included values where there was no data, thus my question.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Kind regards,
Tim P.

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @TPoismans 

I think @Ruggero_Piccoli is suggesting to migrate that report to NPrinting by creating a new report in NPrinting that performs the same function.

Then you can simply use the report 'cycle' feature to generate a PDF for each dimension value you've indicated in the image shown to loop in QlikView earlier.

Please visit this section of our help site to assist you with creating a task then distributing the report by user or groups to specific or multiple destinations. https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2019/Content/NPrinting/DistributionSchedulesAutomation...

Here is how to use report cycles: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2019/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/Cycling-your...

I suggest creating an excel report and using the PDF output format as show below:PDF output format.PNG

In case this is helpful to you, here is the section on developing Qlik NPrinting reports and videos as well.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2019/Content/NPrinting/ReportsDevelopment/QlikView-NPr...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFxZPr8pHfZS0n3jxx74rpA/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=26

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!