Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III

Section access in Nprinting

Hi Guys,

Do we need any qlik sense token to work with section access in nprinting. I have a qs dashboard with section access for 50 users. Now I want to add 20 more users to the dashboard with the same section access and distribute Nprinting reports to those 20 users based on the filters defined in the section access without giving them access to actual qs dashboard. Do I still need to allocate qs tokens to this 20 users to achieve this?

I didn't find much documentation on this, Can someone tell me how to work with section access in Nprinting??

Thanks,

Anil

14 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @Anilb1603 

Qlik Sense tokens are not necessary for NPrinting report distribution whether section access is used or not.

You need to assign QS tokens if a user is required to access the Qlik Sense hub and in turn execute On Demand reports from within the Qlik Sense hub.

So if you are distributing reports by email, to specific user folders on the server or network, or to NP NewsStand, QS tokens are not required for NP report distribution. (Section access is only needed to limit data based on section access/data security requirements).

I suppose QS tokens are not mentioned since it is not a requirement to distribute NPrinting reports for the 'destinations' specified in the NPrinting Web Console. 

Note that if you send reports to the newstand, you must also set up individual users via the NP web console. (no tokens are necessary to perform that operation either).

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2019/Content/NPrinting/Recipients&Users/Create-users-filte...

Hope this helps.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Frank, 

Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hey Guys,

We tested out a sample dashboard with section access for 3 users all of them are in same domain as qlik sense and qlik nprinting and the users are also presented in both qlik sense and nprinting. we used the below script.

Section Access;
LOAD * inline [
ACCESS, USERID, BU, OMIT
ADMIN, AMERICAS\User1, *,
USER, AMERICAS\User2, A,
USER, AMERICAS\User3, B,
];
section application;

User1 has a developer access to the app, user 2 has a root admin rights in qlik sense and user3 doesn't have any access to app or token from qlik sense.

I created the connection with User1 Identity with checking apply section access for the selected identity option and created a sample power point report. When I distribute the report via email, only User1 and User2 gets the correct report but user3 didn't get any valid report (just getting some error message). In the task execution also it showing Nprintng failed generate a report for user3.

We tried creating a connection with user2 also but still user3 didn't get any report and also we tried creating connection with user3 but this time connection itself didn't work..

If I un-check the apply user section access for reports and create a connection then all the users including user3 getting the same report as the identity (Only user1 & user2) used to make a connection.

Finally I didn't understand do we need a token from qlik sense to work with section access or not.

can some one please help me on this one??

Thanks,

Anil

Frank_S
Support
Support

The answer re: tokens is the same as my earlier post:

"Qlik Sense tokens are not necessary for NPrinting report distribution whether section access is used or not."

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hey @Frank_S ,

Am I missing anything in above scenario? Why user3 is not getting NP report when using section access..

Thanks,

Anil

Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Can someone please tell me what am I missing in my above scenario?? Why user3 is not getting any report if we don't need any qlik sense token to work with section access in nprinting??

Thanks,

Anil

Frank_S
Support
Support

Have you checked your NP engine and scheduler logs?

Those should shed light or give some clues. 

It's possible that the specific user in question may not be part of a security role to recevve reports like users or newstand users. 

or

The user is not a recipient of a publish task. 

If the logs don't give you much to go on and if the above do not help, the I suggest submitting a support case to investigate further...however it seems to be a permissions/role/ or publish task issue.

Anilb1603
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Frank, Here the user 3 is getting the reports when we disable the section access. So I don't think its a security role or publish task problem in nprinting.

The logs just saying like:

Failed generation of report xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for user xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. ERROR: NPrinting Engine failed to open document.

Frank_S
Support
Support

@Anilb1603 

Which user is being used as the NP connection 'identity'?

User 3 or some other user? If some other user, do below:

• Try to take User 3 out of the section access load script, reload the data in the load editor. Then reload the NP connection.
  • Then in NPrinting create filters necessary to filter the user data (user filter) for the report distributed for that specific user 3 user.