Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uma_maheswari
Contributor III
Contributor III

Variable filters in NPrinting V17

Hi ,

Can someone help me with the feature releases in June for NPrinting V17 .

I am particular about the variable filters and cyclic groups.

Please help me understand the variable filters here and where to find the option /how to use the same.

I am familiar with the V16 release.

Thanks a lot in advance .

Regards,

Uma

18 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Uma, no that is not what i meant.

What you have essently done is you created field filter (not variable filter) and you are filtering it using a variable. But why do you use variable in there if you could just use a value for static values or expression for dynamic value? You do not need a variable in it.

that is my first point

My second point is that in NPrinting 16 we were able to modify/assign new value for QlikView variable in NPrinting Filters. for expample:

• variable name and default value (in QlikView front end i have toggles to toggle between $Amount and Units)
    • vSales = Amount
  • in Nprintig variable filter i was able to change it to
    • vSales = Units
  • therefore i was able to build say 2 reports one for units one for $value using the same table where my expression was: Sum($(vSales))

Now in NPrinting 17 we do not have variable filters so i cannot use such concept, however i can modify slightly a logic how value is getting to my variable. I create a dataisland field in my qlik data model

Load

Inline

[

%Toggle

Amount

Units

]

;

Then i modify my variable to be:

• vSales = Only(%Toggle)

And then in NPrinting i use a normal field filter to filter on a filed

• %Toggle = Amount or
  • %Toggle = Units

I know that this is "pulling a leg" solution and normaly i would simply resign with dynamic measures and create 2 tables one for Amout and one for Units... but sometimes you have to go the way I have described above

I hope it makes more sense to you now what i meant

kind regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Oh then it will work all am using 17.3.1

mredeker
Contributor
Contributor

Any news when this will be supported in Qlik NPrinting again?

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi, at the moment I don't know when they will be supported by Qlik NPrinting 17+.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-14806. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
aapurva09
Creator
Creator

I tried all the options mentioned above but nothing works for me.

My field in QV app is QuarterYear with values Q12019, Q22019 etc. 

evaluate=vQuarterYear

evaluate=$(vQuarterYear)

evalute='$(vQuarterYear)'

Is there any other way to filter using variable?

Thanks

Apurva

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Did you checked this https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/November2018/Content/NPrinting/Troubleshooting/Variables-dont-...?

I mean the = symbol in the variable definition?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
rajtechnocraft
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi

I am also trying the same  thing

My N Printing version is June 2019

My Qlik sense version is 2019

N print designer is Jun 2019

I have from date and to date numeric fields created in my Qlik sense application i have also created two variables in my Qlik sense application.

I have assigned values to varibales by passing the date fields.

I have also created varibales in N print reports and assigned them to date field values from qlik sense application.

I tried all possible ways

In N printing filter i used option

1.Evaluate=num(vFromdate)

Evaluate=num(vToDate))

Alternately i tried Evaluate ='num($(vFromDate))'

Evaluate='num($(vToDate))'

Hard coded numeric value this option works

Numeric value 3126

Numeric Value 3300

Can you please help me where i am going wrong.

Regards

Arvind

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

What is the result you expect? What are you obtaining? Can you post some screenshots?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Mate,

I have no idea what you are trying to do. I have seen your post in other thread and i responded to it.

now - to help you more please answer following questions:

...I have from date and to date numeric fields created in my Qlik sense application i have also created two variables in my Qlik sense application. - What do you use it for - how do you want to interact with it in Qlik Sense? 

I have assigned values to varibales by passing the date fields - What do you mean? Can you share script/expression/formulas?

...I have also created varibales in N print reports and assigned them to date field values from qlik sense application. - You cannot create variables in NPrinting - you can only use variables from Qlik Sense/QlikView and show their evaluated in Qlik values (the will not evaluate in NPrinting!!! - expcept from where they are used to build a formulas in for example excel template)

Now what do you do in NPrinting?

you are saying....

In N printing filter i used option

1.Evaluate=num(vFromdate)

Evaluate=num(vToDate))

Alternately i tried Evaluate ='num($(vFromDate))'

Evaluate='num($(vToDate))'

Hard coded numeric value this option works

Numeric value 3126

Numeric Value 3300

So what is the field you are trying to filter?

Why would you use variable to do it especially that you have no control over this variable in NPrinitng except if you apply filter on the field (which you do by applying numbers like 3126,3300...)

I suggest you spend some time writing a well described question with steps, scripts screenshots of what you are trying to do and what would be the expected output. I think your current solution will never work as my gutfeel tells me that you want to filter field by variable value which gets evaluated based on the same field value (kind of circular reference which would not make any sense).

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.