cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QlikMo
Contributor III
Contributor III

nPrinting SMB 250 user/recipient limit

I am in the middle of testing the move from nPrinting 16 to the latest version.

So on to the question, I realise there is a 250 user limit in this new version for SMB. Does that mean you can only have a maximum of 250 recipients? (recipients of an excel report, no role assigned)

We send out regular emails to customers and suppliers. The amount of recipients is above the 250 limit but only by a little. This was never a problem in NP16. We could even enter multiple email addresses in the To field (e.g. email1; email2) which doesn't exist now.

I'd also like to know what are people doing in this scenario? I'd love to stick with NP16 but we are starting to get a few bugs so that is not really feasible. We are still an SMB though..we just have a lot of suppliers and customers that we like to send a couple of emails each week. If we were talking pure internal users it would be much less than 250

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

1. You say: So on to the question, I realise there is a 250 user limit in this new version for SMB. Does that mean you can only have a maximum of 250 recipients? (recipients of an excel report, no role assigned)
    • 250 user limit is the limit on ADMIN-->USERS section in nprinting based on user email addresses. But If you have there 1 dummy user with assigned role and you will distribute the same report to that user but in email section use "variable" comma separated list of 1000 or 2000 or more recipients which can be created as variable in qlik then that user record is only consuming 1 out of 250 (not 1000 out of 250)
    • Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1633998311285.png

• in other words 250 is the limit of users to which you can assign roles, filters, groups... 
  2. so yes - SMB version allows you to have max 250 unique emails (this is unique id for recipient) in your user list at the time
    • Lech_Miszkiewicz_1-1633998536384.png

• Workaround 1 - keep user list fluid (and yes - here use of API will come really handy) to do following :
      • Import first 250 users - send report
      • Delete users and import 251-500 - send report... etc 
      • You can keep recipient list empty (aprat from service account and or/developer account who needs to have access) and maintain it based on the needs. I have written qvs script which can be easily implemented in QlikView scripts to use API and do all that https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/04/08/nprinting-api-qlik-rest-subroutines/ Yes- you may need to change some of the logic I used there, but overall it is QlikView script so it should be easy to understand.
    • Workaround 2 - Why you did not get Enterprise version in first place? I am little bit surprised that having NPrinting 16 you ended up having SMB version rather than Enterprise. Have you discuss this with your Qlik account or Qlik Partner - If not I would suggest you do that. Discuss conversion options etc.
  3. You say: We could even enter multiple email addresses in the To field (e.g. email1; email2) which doesn't exist now.
  4. You say: I'd love to stick with NP16 but we are starting to get a few bugs so that is not really feasible.
    • Bugs are not appearing suddenly - you either changed/upgraded OS or updated other components. If you just keep everything as it was (without any upgrades to any software) then I cannot believe there will be issues since it has worked for you flawlesly for years. So yeah - It is not old NPrinting causing issues - it is upgrades of other things which probably do create issues and mix things up.
  5. Lastly you say you are in the middle of testing the move - such testing should be done by someone who has 100% experience in latest NPrinting. Dont get me wrong - I am not trying to discourage you or anyone in your company but I want to flag important thing about it. Yes things work differently, some concepts are different, some functionalities are gone other are added. If you dont have a full understanding of the new tool (which in my case have taken 6-7 years day-to-day work and I am still learning) you will likely miss options or may take wrong design path. Planning NPrinting solutions and anticipating potential problems might be the biggest challenge if you are not experienced. Starting from basics - going just through .qvw files and ensuring that they are meeting all requirements and are built-optimized for NPrinting, knowing limitations or workarounds, knowing templates, output formats, behaviour changes (variables dont expand), use of recipient import, use of alternate emails or variable emails, understanding concept of users, filters etc... etc... In short if you have someone in house who knows all that then it will be smooth sailing for you, If you dont, then I can say it will be quite rough ride as you will have to discover how it all can work just by try &error.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Yes Qlik NPrinting SMB is limited to 250 users and 2 developers.

Qlik NPrinting 17+ is a different product compared with QlikView NPrinting 16. For example the 17+ is multi-engines and multi-thread, where QlikView NPrinting 16 isn't, so it can scale up easier. Qlik NPrinting 17+ stores internal data on a Repository, that is a database server, instead of using .nsq files. So you can create more complex reporting systems without the limitation of reading huge files on opening. 

The migration is documented in details at https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Migrating.htm included the unsupported features. The Migration Tool has also many detailed error messages so we suggest to test the process and solve them before proceeding with the final  migration. Where available, the help site documents how to replace some unsupported features.

QlikView NPrinting 16 is no more supported. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

1. You say: So on to the question, I realise there is a 250 user limit in this new version for SMB. Does that mean you can only have a maximum of 250 recipients? (recipients of an excel report, no role assigned)
    • 250 user limit is the limit on ADMIN-->USERS section in nprinting based on user email addresses. But If you have there 1 dummy user with assigned role and you will distribute the same report to that user but in email section use "variable" comma separated list of 1000 or 2000 or more recipients which can be created as variable in qlik then that user record is only consuming 1 out of 250 (not 1000 out of 250)
    • Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1633998311285.png

• in other words 250 is the limit of users to which you can assign roles, filters, groups... 
  2. so yes - SMB version allows you to have max 250 unique emails (this is unique id for recipient) in your user list at the time
    • Lech_Miszkiewicz_1-1633998536384.png

• Workaround 1 - keep user list fluid (and yes - here use of API will come really handy) to do following :
      • Import first 250 users - send report
      • Delete users and import 251-500 - send report... etc 
      • You can keep recipient list empty (aprat from service account and or/developer account who needs to have access) and maintain it based on the needs. I have written qvs script which can be easily implemented in QlikView scripts to use API and do all that https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/04/08/nprinting-api-qlik-rest-subroutines/ Yes- you may need to change some of the logic I used there, but overall it is QlikView script so it should be easy to understand.
    • Workaround 2 - Why you did not get Enterprise version in first place? I am little bit surprised that having NPrinting 16 you ended up having SMB version rather than Enterprise. Have you discuss this with your Qlik account or Qlik Partner - If not I would suggest you do that. Discuss conversion options etc.
  3. You say: We could even enter multiple email addresses in the To field (e.g. email1; email2) which doesn't exist now.
  4. You say: I'd love to stick with NP16 but we are starting to get a few bugs so that is not really feasible.
    • Bugs are not appearing suddenly - you either changed/upgraded OS or updated other components. If you just keep everything as it was (without any upgrades to any software) then I cannot believe there will be issues since it has worked for you flawlesly for years. So yeah - It is not old NPrinting causing issues - it is upgrades of other things which probably do create issues and mix things up.
  5. Lastly you say you are in the middle of testing the move - such testing should be done by someone who has 100% experience in latest NPrinting. Dont get me wrong - I am not trying to discourage you or anyone in your company but I want to flag important thing about it. Yes things work differently, some concepts are different, some functionalities are gone other are added. If you dont have a full understanding of the new tool (which in my case have taken 6-7 years day-to-day work and I am still learning) you will likely miss options or may take wrong design path. Planning NPrinting solutions and anticipating potential problems might be the biggest challenge if you are not experienced. Starting from basics - going just through .qvw files and ensuring that they are meeting all requirements and are built-optimized for NPrinting, knowing limitations or workarounds, knowing templates, output formats, behaviour changes (variables dont expand), use of recipient import, use of alternate emails or variable emails, understanding concept of users, filters etc... etc... In short if you have someone in house who knows all that then it will be smooth sailing for you, If you dont, then I can say it will be quite rough ride as you will have to discover how it all can work just by try &error.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Yes Qlik NPrinting SMB is limited to 250 users and 2 developers.

Qlik NPrinting 17+ is a different product compared with QlikView NPrinting 16. For example the 17+ is multi-engines and multi-thread, where QlikView NPrinting 16 isn't, so it can scale up easier. Qlik NPrinting 17+ stores internal data on a Repository, that is a database server, instead of using .nsq files. So you can create more complex reporting systems without the limitation of reading huge files on opening. 

The migration is documented in details at https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Migrating.htm included the unsupported features. The Migration Tool has also many detailed error messages so we suggest to test the process and solve them before proceeding with the final  migration. Where available, the help site documents how to replace some unsupported features.

QlikView NPrinting 16 is no more supported. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

@Ruggero_Piccoli - link you have provided does not work

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

@Lech_Miszkiewicz thanks, removed. 

Best Regards,
Ruggero
QlikMo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to respond. I had a look at your subroutines, very handy. I think workaround 1 may be worth exploring.

In answer to your question about why we have this version on NP rather than enterprise version - I think it's because we got the QlikView Small Business Edition server. 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @QlikMo 

QlikView version (small business) should not be related to version of NPrinting. In this case I encourage you to double check with Qlik what are the options for migrations as I think you may be eligible to get enterprise edition when migrating from existing NPrinting 16 solution. 

thanks

Lech

QlikMo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz 

I just had a look at an old Qlik email and the product is written as 'Qlikview NPrinting SBE Server' on the licence section.  I think the main (and maybe only) difference at that time was the on-demand printing feature not available for SBE/SMB.

I will still contact them to see what options are available. 

Thank you

QlikMo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz 

Just to follow up, you were right! I don't know how on earth you knew this but you did. We were wrongly given the SMB trial licence. Again thanks for the advice and also your brilliant library,  after tweaking it a bit for Qlikview it's working really well and saved me a lot of time. I was even part way through creating the batch user creation and deletion.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Excellent!

How did I know? As Qlik partner we as a company transitioned a lot of clients from version 16 to new NPrinting and all of those clients were given enterprise license. So I didn't know - I just assumed that you would get the same.

I am assuming this will now change a lot of things you previously had issues with. I know it may be hard to migrate, but once you do it, it should be ok. 

Lastly - please spend time going through https://help.qlik.com "planning deployment" and "creating connections to..." sections to ensure your environmnet meets all requirements. There is nothing worse than gremlins sitting in your software waiting for you to trip over a requirement you havent met 🙂 haha

good luck

cheers