Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwest1965
Contributor III
Contributor III

nPrinting Stability

Hi Everyone

Just after some opinions from folks on how stable NPrinting (V17) software is on the server, I ran a task yesterday which caused the server to run out of memory but the task never failed.  I aborted that task but it would appear now that the server is in a state where nothing works and I suspect I will need to at a minimum restart the services, but perhaps restart the server.

Fine on a DEV/UAT server, that doesn't cause too much disruption, but if that happens on a Prod Server it has much more of an impact.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

There may be other issues occurring but to ensure you have the most stable experience and the most advanced logging in NPrinting we suggest upgrading to the latest release of NPrinting.

See the following upgrade article to ensure the upgrade is managed accurately.

https://support-cdn.qlik.com/articles/000050323

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, this can be very long topic.

1.  agree with Frank - upgrade to the latest version
  2. if your task made your server running out of resources there are design issues in your environment (not NPrinting stability issues). Those can vary a lot and can depend on multiple factors like:
    1. type of connection you are using QlikSense / QlikView (local vs qvp vs claster)
    2. your qlik application size
    3. your qlik application model
    4. your qlik application expressions
    5. your NPrinting template 
    6. your Qlik server hardware
    7. your NPrinting server hardware

As you see i put NPrinting server hardware at the end as NPrinitng does not really require much of resources if it is implemented properly and solution is thought through deeply. NPrinting implementation seems to be easy but it isn't! This often leads to huge mistakes of how NPrinting solution is implemented and how reports are built, causing lots of different problems.

I would worry about stability of NPrinting in the end. What i would start worry about in the beginning is who and how implemented it causing your server running out of resources.

think of NPrinitng as of user who is doing lots of selections, data exports, image exports from QlikView or Qlik Sense application . This "user" does it very fast and non-stop. It means that your Qlik application needs to be built to respond to those fast selections, exports etc.. and performance of NPrinitng depends mainly on performance of your Qlik Application supporting NPrinitng reporting. Often it means that for NPrinting reporting you need to maintain separate Qlik application which can have different data grain and contain only fields, measures, dimensions and objects required for NPrinting report.

kind regards

Lech 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.