Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berryandcherry6
Creator II
Creator II

prerequisite for moving/replacing .NPX files between different environments

Hi,

We are using NPrinting and Qliksense April 2018 versions.

We are planning to keep two Environments for NPrinting, so the work done by us in development server will be then moved to prod server environment by our administrator(with the new feature of NPrinting  JUNE 2017 release onwards).

So i need to know the prerequisite for this approach to be achieved.

Please recommend and advise on this.OR any other work around to achive process similar to this will be much appreciated.

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You are asking very broad question. To save us all a lot of time and effort i suggest you go to official documentation which does cover everything in this aspect. If you find any gaps or have some specific questions which are not answered in official help document then maybe post it here.

so start from:

https://help.qlik.com/

for example:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2018/Content/AdministeringQVNprinting/Import-export-repor...

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
berryandcherry6
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi lech_miszkiewicz‌,

Thanks for your reply.

I have referred those link, In both video and qlik document, they tell us to use exported ZIP file from one environment to other, where Apps and connections must be present in the secondary environment before you start importing reports.

MY Question:

So how to maintain secondary environment, that contain Apps and connections present same as in primary environment before importing ZIP?

Issue facing:

By following the video and qlik document, I tried by keeping two environments(two VM) for NPrinting, and importing ZIP file from one environment to other. When i do so it avoids import by saying "Connection string not present. Please view the log for details". THis is the issue i am facing as there GUIDs are different.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well - regarding your error there might be multiple issues:

1. Did you have in both VMs NPrinitng App created before you have attempted report import?

2. Did you have in both VMs NPrinitng Connection created before you have attempted report import?

So. You probably don't have  connection  in Prod Environment so you need to manually create it or migrate whole dev site to prod using repository migration:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2018/Content/DeployingQVNprinting/Backup-restore.htm

At this stage there is no way to migrate whole NPrinitng App. You can only migrate all site (repository) or single report.

If you go for single report you have to manually maintain and ensure that all other entities are in place like NPrinitng App, Connection to Qlik (Connection does not have to have the same GUID ID as the process will ask you which connection you want your report to link to) but still you need to ensure that the connection exists and points to the right Qlik document containing the same objects.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
berryandcherry6
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi,

I think i was not clear about how i have being using VMs.

I have two VMs where both VMs contains newly installed both Qliksense and NPrinting servers.

Primary Environment(Developmnt)

So when i want to create report in NPrinting in dev envimnt, i am making connection to qliksense app in dev environment. Then i export this ZIP file from dev envimnt.

Secondary Environment(Prod)

I am importing above ZIP file in Prod Environment. When i do this it shows like below error (it might be replace or import shows same error)

Capture.PNG

In this environment as you can see there is no Qlik APP as of same APPID as in primary enviromnt, so do connection and Apps.

so report i import does not points to the right Qlik document containing the same objects, where both qlik app document it pointing to in both VMs are of different APPIDs, even though i create both APPs and connections in NPrinting server of both VMs are of same name.

is this is the right set up for my requirement to use two enviroments?. If not how should be my VMs setup to achive my requirement.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

like i already said.

• you need to migrate qyour Qlik app to PROD
  • recreate NPrinitng APp and connections to the same Qlik App (regardles if it is sitting in DEV or PROD, it also can have different app guid id as long as inside ) so when you get to the point where you import your report you already have a skeleton to link your migrated report to.
  • "so report i import does not points to the right Qlik document containing the same objects, (it needs to point to the same Qlik APP, but Qlik APP can have different ID and can live on different server!!!) where both qlik app document it pointing to in both VMs are of different APPIDs, even though i create both APPs and connections in NPrinting server of both VMs are of same name." -
    • your above comment seems like rigt approach, but looks like you still have something wrong there. the most important thing is that Qlik app from dev needs to be published fully to prod with all objects and sheets used in dev so that the object Ids remain the same!
  • in overall if you have so serious doubts in regards to setup - strategically get a Qlik consultant for a day so you can properly discuss environment setup and E2E solution for both environments!

It looks to me that there is a lack of understanding what components can be migrated, how they can be migrated and how to maintain integrity of relationship between Qlik App and NPrinting App since it is the most important thing to do!

regards

Lech