Partner - Creator

NPrinting Schedule Monitor (NP17+) and Failed Task reporting

Last Update:

Sep 23, 2019 3:21:48 PM

Updated By:

Sue_Macaluso

Created date:

Jul 16, 2019 11:40:38 AM

Due to the fact that NPrinting does not give you a nice calendar like overview of scheduled tasks I decided to create a Qlik Sense application that does this for you. Besides the ability to get an overview of scheduled tasks this application also sends out an NPrinting report whenever a task failed to run. 

For this Qlik Sense applcation to work you need to create a connection to the NPrinting Repository Database and two REST API connections (GET and POST) for running an NPrinting report when tasks failed.

The dashboard page gives an overview of scheduled, failed, aborted and completed tasks.

NP Scheduler Dashboard.png

All files and documentation for setting up the application and the connections can be found on Qlik Branch

NPScheduleMonitorQB.png

Installation

1. Download this Qlik Sense app in a zip file using the 'Clone or Download' button
  2. Extract the qvf file from the zip
  3. Navigate to 'Apps' under the QMC (Qlik Management Console)
  4. Import the qvf file

Getting Started

1. Navigate to the Data Load Editor
  2. Create a Data Connection to the REST API for GET and POST and to the NPrinting Repository Database
  3. Navigate to the Set Variables tab
  4. Add the created connection names to the variables for vAPIConnectionNameForGET, vAPIConnectionNameForPOST and vNPRepoConnection
  5. Set the correct servers in the vNPrintingServer and vQlikSenseServer
  6. Set the NPrinting Publish Task Name in vNPrintingPublishTaskName if you created a NPrinting report and Publish task for Failed reports
  7. In the CALL NP API tab there is a check to validate if there are Failed Tasks, if so the report get's send out.

NPrinting Report Template

1. Create a NPrinting app called NPrinting Schedule Monitor
  2. Create a connection to the Qlik Sense Schedule Monitor app in Qlik Sense
  3. Navigate to Reports in NPrinting and press import report and choose the NPrinting Schedule Monitor App
  4. Import the zip file NPrinting Daily Failed Task Report Template.zip by browsing to the zip file
  5. Press Next
  6. Give the Report a title or use the existing title and press Next
  7. Choose connection you created and press Next
  8. In the Filters screen press Next
  9. In the Summary screen validate the choices made and press Confirm

Reload the app

1. Open Qlik Sense and navigate to the Schedule Monitor app.
  2. Run a manual reload to see if everything works
  3. Schedule the reload of this app in the QMC Task Scheduler
  4. If a NPrinting task has failed the NPrinting Report will be send out
Comments
Stephen_Jasionowski

Awesome work, Marc! This will be a very valuable addition to the product

userid128223
Creator
Creator

Can i create a local copy of repository database on my laptop and use QlikSense desktop to connect via your app? I understand it will not be live view but would it work? 

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @userid128223 

Yes, that should work. You have to create a connection to your Postgres database and this will be used to retrieve data. You set change this line of code in the app:

SET vNPRepoConnection = <connection name>'

You also need the REST API's because not all the information can be retrieved from the database, for example the upcoming tasks (I think this is initially what you where looking for).

If you have any questions please let me know.

Marc

userid128223
Creator
Creator

Hi Marc

Anyway you can publish same app for QlikView? 

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @userid128223 ,

There is no QlikView version available, I'm sorry.

Marc

florent1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello @marcginqo

Thank you so much for this ! I've been using it very regularly for a couple years, it is very helpful.

However, do you think it would be possible for you to explain how to retrieve the execution tasks logs ?
I'm pretty sure a table exists, but I can't find it.
My need here is to know which tasks didn't go through because of a condition evaluated to false. 

Thank you,

Florent

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @florent1,

Sorry for the very late reaction. I will look I to this next week and let you know as soon as possible what the options are.

Marc

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi @florent1 

I'm not sure if there is a way of getting information regarding the tasks that did not go through due to a condition set.

There might be something in the NPrinting PostgreSQL database that is used in the Schedule Monitor as well. I could not find a part in the API's that will give you that information.

In the Schedule Monitor there is a piece that loads data regarding Task Executions but no condition status in there.

Maybe @Stephen_Jasionowski knows about this.

Marc

Version history
Last update:
‎2019-09-23 03:21 PM
Updated by: