Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
covenant_bi
Creator
Creator

How to test NPrinting Designer During Upgrade Cycle?

We recently upgraded our Nprinting test server to Feb 2019 from Sep 2018 and need to test.   On my local machine, if I attempt to install the latest Designer executable, it wants to upgrade my current Sep 2018 version of Designer.  I would image that I would be unable to use my Feb 2019 version of Designer when attempting to open it on any current prod report as that server is still on Sep 2018.

So my question is how can I fully test Feb 2019 end to end without affecting my current machine?  Install Designer 2019 on the server itself and test by RDP into the box?  

I'm interested to hear others upgrade processes.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi,

Not sure if I understand your requirement exactly so I summarize what I think you are saying.

Basically you want to use a different NP designer version that is different from the NP server...is that correct? 

If yes, then note that you actually must use the same NP designer version as the NP server version to ensure that there is no designer errors or other unpredictable problems that might occur.

Unfortunately there is no built in mechanism to switch between versions nor is there the ability to install different versions of the NP designer.

So in a nutshell, you would have to uninstall the Sept. 2018 designer and then install Feb 2019 designer to test Feb. 2019 release of NPrinting. Again, a mismatch of NP server and Designer versions will lead to errors and unpredictable reporting results and designer behavior.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi,

Not sure if I understand your requirement exactly so I summarize what I think you are saying.

Basically you want to use a different NP designer version that is different from the NP server...is that correct? 

If yes, then note that you actually must use the same NP designer version as the NP server version to ensure that there is no designer errors or other unpredictable problems that might occur.

Unfortunately there is no built in mechanism to switch between versions nor is there the ability to install different versions of the NP designer.

So in a nutshell, you would have to uninstall the Sept. 2018 designer and then install Feb 2019 designer to test Feb. 2019 release of NPrinting. Again, a mismatch of NP server and Designer versions will lead to errors and unpredictable reporting results and designer behavior.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Agree with Frank,
Also if you alreafy have upgraded your Nprinting server you MUST upgrade a designer as well to be able to work with templates without risk of damaging them.
cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
covenant_bi
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for the info.  I thought that may be the case.