cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulodantas
Creator
Creator

Metadata.json file Template

I have one question about the import report in NPrinting.

Hello everyone.

My project will reuse the same template for all the reports, and also the same template of Sense app. What I am doing is, duplicating the app in Sense, load the new data from another data connection and use the same objects(charts, KPIs etc). 

I export the report in NPrinting, and want import this zip file to use for a new report. As this process only give to me the possibility to use the old connection in NPrinting, the idea is somehow change the connection before import to NPrinting. I tried to change the connection ID and Name in metadata.json file, but when import the only connection that appear to be used in this process is the old one.

Is it possible to change the reference of connection in a template of NPrinting report?

Best regards

Labels (2)
9 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

I have to disagree with you on following sentence:

As this process only give to me the possibility to use the old connection in NPrinting, the idea is somehow change the connection before import to NPrinting. I tried to change the connection ID and Name in metadata.json

That statement is wrong as you can choose connection when reimporting new file. Note that that connection has to be created with metadata reloaded and all object existing in it, and then first step during import is to choose the existing connection.

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1672351536092.png

Manual change in JSON file will corrupt your report and you will not be able to import it anyway. On top of that information from json file is not stored on file share but is used during report import to populate required tables in NPrinting repository database so the process you thinking of will not work.

If you are interested in customizing import process you may create an idea on ideation page to extend NPrinting API functionality to cover also report import / export process.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
paulodantas
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

that is my problem when I go to choose the connection. I have two connection in my App inside NPrinting, so far so good, but in this process only gives to me the possibility to choose the oldest connection, that means, to choose the same connection that was used in the template, and not possible to choose the new connection that I created in the same App in NPrinting.

I know that there is possibility to corrupt my report, but NPrinting doesn't give to me another option to do what I want without to many changes.

Acctually I did changes in json file and could import without problem.

I did some experience here, and I was able to choose the new connection just because I added one object/chart from this new connection to one slide, and in the import process in the same step of your screenshot, appeared two lines, one with the old connection where it is possible to choose only the old one, and in the new connection that is possible to choose the new one and for my surprise, the old one. 

For example, I can import only the pptx, that give to me all the template in pptx without the objects and connection, but with this will be necessary to add all the charts in Image, Table, Formula, Variable, and after that add all again to the pptx, that means a lot of work, because I will have to use that template many times.

Best regards

paulodantas
Creator
Creator
Author

Dear @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

you can see here my screenshots.

Best regards

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

I am not sure what you are doing wrong. From my experience the only reason why you wouldn't see another connection would be that the other connection is not refreshed with all required objects from Qlik Sense. In your screenshot the other connection was refreshed 8 days ago and it is possible you have changed something in source app since. Make sure you have both connections pointing to the app with all the same objects and that connections are refreshed.

If you are pointing to exactly the same Qlik Sense app try

• refreshing both connections,
  • edit your template and check if all objects/entities are present
  • save and export your report
  • try import it again and see how it goes. 

I am using this method all the time so I know it is possible and that it works. 

Any other adjustments you do - you do on your own risk. NPrinting wasn't designed to work that way hence if you corrupt reports by changing JSON content you will be on your own. This may as well cause issues in the future when you will try to further export the same report. 

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
paulodantas
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

I can guarantee to you that the Apps in Qlik Sense are the same in everything, only the data are different, because it is another customer.

When I add one object from the new connection as you can see in the screenshot below:

NPrinting_PPT_Template.png

It is possible to choose that connection, please see the screenshot below:

NPrinting_Import_Connection_Option3.png

NPrinting_Import_Connection_Option2.png

I know that changes the json file probably will damage somewhere in the process, it is something that I am testing for now to see if it will be possible to do or not.

I will try another test and later I will confirm if I have any change.

Happy New Year for you and your family and thank you very much for the help.

Best regards 

paulodantas
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

I did another test, I duplicate the app again and do not change the objects from the places (between sheets) and do not rename the Sheets.

Seems to appear the new connection that I created from this new app in Sense.

Best regards 

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That means it worked? right?

paulodantas
Creator
Creator
Author

Dear @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

seems to be working, I need do more tests.

For now I am doing the changes to create the finished template.

Thanks for the help.

Best regards

andregas
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hello @paulodantas ,

Move Sense's objects through the sheets change the object ID and NPrinting uses it to manage the objects into template.

During report import, you could choose another connection only if contains all objects ID used into template.

Regards