Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markus_QV
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting 2021 - 1 App with 4 connections (QVWs) - How to import user filter via Excel?

Hi,

I have a report which needs 4 QVWs (Connections). When I set up the filter manually in the NP we console everything is fine.

Markus_QV_0-1625670424919.pngMarkus_QV_1-1625670449772.png

Now I want to update the value of the 4 connections/fields via Excel user import, because this filter is a user filter.

When I set up my excel file and start the import file, NP only updates the first line of my filters and sent we warnings that the rest can not be updated.

Markus_QV_2-1625670622448.png

Error: skipped because another filter with the same name and app exists in the import data.

How can I update all 4 connections of this 1 filter?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Markus

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

See the attached example. 

In the Filters worksheet you create the filters, in this case two, one for each connection with unique names. 

In the Users worksheet you associate the filters to the user. Add the filters in the Filters column separated by commas.

When you sent the report to the recipient it will be filtered by each connection.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @Markus_QV 

I believe this is what you are looking for...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-enable-imported-user-filters-for-use-with-NPrint...

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Markus_QV 

Based on the testing i have done it is not it is not possible to link filters which have the same name with recipients when using "import task" from excel. I always had to generate unique names for each individual filter (which is stupid - i know)

It would be extremely usefull to have such ability as it would simplify hugely need of managing user sheet in that excel.

@Frank_S  & @Ruggero_Piccoli - is this something on the roadmap (improvments to recipient import), or should I open "Idea" for that?

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Giving the same name to two different filters means not to be able to distinguish between them also in the User Interface. So, while importing users from Excel files, Qlik NPrinting cannot know which filter to select.

You can create a new idea but my personal suggestion is to use different filters name or, when possible, include fields from different connections in the same filter. When you apply a filter with fields from different connections only the selections from the connections used in the report are applied.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Markus_QV
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Ruggero,

you said "When you apply a filter with fields from different connections only the selections from the connections used in the report are applied.".

My question is:

I have 1 slide in PPTX with 4 areas. In each area (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) data will be displayed from a different qvw. The overall topic for the slide is "London", but the field name in each qvw/connection is slightly different (con1.city1="London" and con2.city2="London" etc.).

How can import this for each branch manager for a different city via excel import file?

In the web console it is possible when I do it manually.  The pptx will be produced and looks fine.

Best Regards

Markus

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

See the attached example. 

In the Filters worksheet you create the filters, in this case two, one for each connection with unique names. 

In the Users worksheet you associate the filters to the user. Add the filters in the Filters column separated by commas.

When you sent the report to the recipient it will be filtered by each connection.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
Markus_QV
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ok. Thanks. That is working.

Best regards

Markus

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Ruggero_Piccoli - I guess, I will open the idea, If it gets dropped - so be it and at least i will know that I have tried to explain my point with this....

I agree with you that having filters with the same name will cause confusion when adding them to user filters in admin console since you cannot distinguish between them (which one is which one). 

My point is: If you want to use that method for User-Filter allocation You typically would like to have all filters with particular name to be allocated to that user  anyway (not one or two.... all of them - that is the oint of giving them the same name...), so the situation you mention would not be a factor.

We have to remember that once you start using Excel import as a source of your filters for recipients you dont go back to NPrinting admin console to change that. You typically would do it only in either excel or admin console (not once here once there).

Then you may challange that in Filter section in Admin console you also would have troubles distinguishing between them - this is why you can automate population of Description by applying formula which will tell you app name, connection name and fields applied (like on my screenshot).

From that point of view managing excel would also be much simpler. You would be able to easily check which filters belong to which users etc.

So from that point of view i think I coud challange anyone who would like to argue my point regarding this case.

1.jpg

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz ,

I understand your point of view. Creating an idea in the related forum is the correct way of proceeding because it will be evaluated.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero