cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikebull
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

NPrinting (May 2021) Variable for QlikView Server

I'm upgrading from NPrinting v16.4 to latest (May 2021, SR2). Have exported NSQs and am importing into latest NPrinting. All works fine.

However, NPrinting 16.4 allowed a QV server to be defined as a variable. A QV application is presented in new NPrinting after import as:

%DefaultQlikViewServer%/NPrinting/xxxxx.qvw

which you have to change to a server name or IP in latest NPrinting e.g.

123.45.678.90/NPrinting/xxxxx.qvw

but of course, the need is to use a variable instead, as in 16.4. Is this possible?

The client has 40+ applications. The requirement is to backup the NPrinting database and restore to different environments e.g. Live to DR,  Test to Live etc.  For 16.4, this was easy. Just change the variable.

In latest NPrinting, without a variable, it will mean editing the Document Path in every application Connection every time the NPrinting database needs to copied between environments. Significant work.

Have found other posts but they refer to 16.4:
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/How-to-have-Different-Server-Name-in-NPrint...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Documents/How-to-Use-a-Variable-as-a-QlikView-Server-Na...

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

There is some information here about this regarding the actual migration.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Before-you-migrate.htm

• If your QlikView NPrinting 16 connections use environment variables, they are replaced by their values, and the connections are imported correctly.

In the new platform, environment 'server' variables are not available as they were in NP16.

To work around this you may wish to stand up two NP environments and use the export report feature to migrate reports from DEV to PROD for example.

For full background on the NP 16 migration process check:

Another suggestion, you can backup your DEV environment and restore it to PROD if DEV has everything that is needed for your prod environment. ie: reports, tasks, triggers conditions etc. The following provides details regarding the backup and restore process.

Hope this helps...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

There is some information here about this regarding the actual migration.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Migrate/Before-you-migrate.htm

• If your QlikView NPrinting 16 connections use environment variables, they are replaced by their values, and the connections are imported correctly.

In the new platform, environment 'server' variables are not available as they were in NP16.

To work around this you may wish to stand up two NP environments and use the export report feature to migrate reports from DEV to PROD for example.

For full background on the NP 16 migration process check:

Another suggestion, you can backup your DEV environment and restore it to PROD if DEV has everything that is needed for your prod environment. ie: reports, tasks, triggers conditions etc. The following provides details regarding the backup and restore process.

Hope this helps...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Frank_S
Support
Support

Also you can add a Feature Request here if you wish:

I did search for it there but couldn't find it so you may want to enter it.

mikebull
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Frank, lots to work my way through here. Many thanks, Mike

Frank_S
Support
Support

No worries @mikebull

Kind regards...

monaali602
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Mike,

can I ask you which version of qlik view server did you have when you made this migration. Did you upgrade Qlik view server first to a compatible version with Qlik Nprint May 2021, or you did the export & import process first.

Thanks in advance

mikebull
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi, Sorry, not sure what you're trying to find out but here are my steps so far. I needed to create and test a complete Test environment before upgrading Live.

• On a Test server, I installed QV Server 11.2 (existing Live version) with all live QVDs and QVWs
  • Upgraded to QV Server 12.60.2 (I have not upgraded Live QV server yet)
  • From Live NPrinting 16.4, I exported each NSQ  (using File > Export Project).
  • On a separate Test server, I installed NPrinting (May 2021, SR2). Then imported each 16.4 Project.
  • Now working through 60+ reports, comparing with Live & correcting problems as found.