Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting Upgrade fails during the "Installing Repository Service" step, and then rolls back

Hi,

I want to upgrade our nprinting server from November 2019 to May 2023. No I run into the above issue. After 15 minutes of installation it fails and generates automatically a rollback.

The installation log says:

"Failed to Install MSI Package"

I have admin rights on this machine. I have absolutely no clue what's going on. 

Maybe related to this is issue, is that I couldn't make a backup before I started the upgrade. I've got an error message:  "This app can't run on your PC" and "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"

My command: Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f E:\backup-nprinting\NP_Backup.zip -p "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin" --pg-password xxxx

This command worked in the past.

Is this something related to (an upgrade of) Windows Server?

Is the nprinting repository corrupt?

Regards Frank

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpampillon
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi folks,

I was facing the same issues trying to upgrade from May 2022 SR4 to February 2024:

1. Trying to do the backup opening the CMD as administrator, going to cd C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\Tools\Manager  and then using the command Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f C:\NPrintingBackups\NP_Backup.zip -p "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin" --pg-password secretPassword was returning "This app can't run on your PC" and "To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher" and after that a message of "Acces denied" appeared in the CMD.
  2.  When trying to upgrade NPrinting Server, when it started to install the Repository Service it would give a message of rollback and I coudn't install, I tried several times, and the result was the same.

After verifying that the .NET framework version is correct (equal or higher than 4.6.2. as described in https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/NPrinting-Upgrade-fails-during-the-quot-Inst... ) and that I have plenty of space in the disk, I realized that the "Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe"  had size was 0kb (it was corrupt).

The solution was replacing it for one from another installation that wasn't corrupt, has the same version and same patch (in my case May 2022 SR4).

It have to be the same version and same patch, otherwise it will return an error like (this is from using "Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe" from a May 2022 SR2, which isn't the same)

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'NPLogging, Version=22.15.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f678dcebb7bdbf24' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) at Qlik.NPrinting.Manager.Starter.Main(String[] args)

Hope it helps.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Ray_Strother
Support
Support

Hello ,

Please review the below article and the steps contained it.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/NPrinting-Upgrade-fails-during-the-quot-Inst...

Thanks

Ray_Strother
Support
Support

Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply. I've checked the .NET framework version as requested.

Frank_Huning_0-1700337657757.png

It seems oke. So, I guess my database is 'corrupt'? Can I check and fix that by myself?

Regards Frank

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hello @Frank_Huning 

Please check to ensure your Windows server has met the system requirements.

For example, if you have a single core, NPrinting will not work normally or at all.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/System-requirem...

Processors (CPUs): Multi-core x64 compatible processors with a minimum of two cores.

If you do not have sufficient cores, this could be the root cause entirely.

Otherwise, please open a separate support case.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
David_Friend
Support
Support

@Frank_Huning yeah that is a pretty old version,  I would open a support case, we may end up asking R&D to help with upgrading that database, not sure but a possibility...

Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Frank,

Server has 4 Processors, each 2 cores. So that seems okay.

I will open a support ticket.

Thanks,

Frank 

Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Got this suggestion from Qlik support:

How to clean up Orphaned NPrinting database file f... - Qlik Community - 1710250

I will try that later this week (need a snapshot for that first)

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

This Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe backup -f E:\backup-nprinting\NP_Backup.zip -p "C:\Program Files\NPrintingServer\pgsql\bin" --pg-password xxxx is the command to create a backup not to upgrade an installation. It must be run from the folder where the is. Refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Backing-up-Qlik... for the completa backup procedure.

The upgrade is documented at https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Qlik-NPrinting-... at in the Release Notes of the final version you want to install for specific instructions related to the version. 

To see a more detailed error message refer to the log files. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Frank_Huning
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I already found out why my backup was not working. 

The executable Qlik.Nprinting.Manager.exe was 'corrupt' (size was 0kb). So I did an installation on a spare machine and after that I copied this file to my nprinting environment. The backup was now working! So, that's good news.

The hint I got from the qlikview support: How to clean up Orphaned NPrinting database file f... - Qlik Community - 1710250

is not working. In fact, it is not really clear what I suppose to do.

I will try to do an upgrade again, coming Friday, and if this isn't working I will contact support again. 

Regards.