Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Djaber
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Nprinting Report Security on NewsStand

Hi Guys, 

On the NewsStand, how can i distribute the reports to users respecting the property of each report. for example generating 4 reports for 4 sellers (by using UserID in cycle option of the report) and then distribute those 4 reports on the NewsStand so when seller 1 connect to his NewsStand he will see only his report(Report1) and not the 3 other reports.

does anyone know how can i do it 

Regards

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

no, what you are thinking of is not possible directly in nprinting. NPrinitng does not allow for filter - user creation and association directly from data in your app. 

You can automate creation of recipient import excel file which I have given you links to and by automating that process you can automate user creation, filter creation and association of filters to users. File format is provided: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Examples/Examples.htm

the other alternative is to to use API, which requires you to write/code your own solution https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/APIs/NP+API/index.html

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hello again

I can assure you the recipient import does work if the filters are formatted correctly and if you take into account the following.

Here are some issues you might be facing:

Syntax

If you're syntax is not accurate, then it will not work. Correct syntax is shown in the video.

Here is the link describing in detail filter formatting.

Recipient Import FIle

If you are using the wrong import file or have created your own import file. See the article below.

• Do NOT create your own import file.
  • Also from NP April 2020 and newer versions, a new import file is available for download. You must use the import file from April 2020 or later versions
  • You must not add or change columns nor sheets.to your import file

I suggest you do a simple test with a single user, user filter, NP app, NP connection and follow the steps in this article:

Verify the filter

You can check the NP web console for success of your filter import via Apps>Filters. Open the filter and view the filter properties.

You can also verify if the filter is associated to your user added to your import file

You should also check the import log to ensure there were no issues/errors with importing.  (keep in mind that this log may not necessarily tell you if you formatted your filter incorrectly).

It should work if you ensure the above.

All that said, if your source data is a 'dual' then this could be the cause of the issue (assuming the filter formatted correctly in your import file and all the above is met )

Or if you have unsupported items in your source Qlik Sense Application, this too could cause filtering problems.

Kind regards..

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi.
You need to use recipient filters to achieve this. 
This was described many times on community and is also documented on https://help.qlik.com

there is also youtube video here:https://youtu.be/-gn9zdyhtug

Cycles are not used for filtering, they are just used to create separate report for each value of dimension used in cycle.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Frank_S
Support
Support

HI @Djaber

It looks like you are fairly new here and so welcome to the NPrinting Community!

There is a wealth of training information available to you in addition to the information shared by Lech.

Much of what you are looking for or will need to develop and distribute NPrinting reports can be found in these pages in the links below.

Creating filters can be found here:

Adding user filters can be found in the help page here:

Cycling is a feature used to create a different xlsx workbook for each dimension value (or docx, pptx, pxp etc)

As Lech mentioned there is no need to use a cycle if your goal is to distribute a report to a specific user with a specific filter applied.

For example if you want country1 data to be applied to user1 only, then create a country1 filter, apply that filter to the user, then distribute the report as described in the training links mentioned above.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Djaber_T
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @Frank_S , @Lech_Miszkiewicz 

Thank you for your answers, I understand that I have to apply filters on the users (region or any other field) but what I want to do is do it automatically (ie: in my application I have a table attachment where is mentioned user 1 is attached to region 1 and user 2 is attached to region 2 .... etc)

is this possible on Qlik Nprinting? If so, do you have a tutorial or something like that where I can see how I can do it on my application.

Regards

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

no, what you are thinking of is not possible directly in nprinting. NPrinitng does not allow for filter - user creation and association directly from data in your app. 

You can automate creation of recipient import excel file which I have given you links to and by automating that process you can automate user creation, filter creation and association of filters to users. File format is provided: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Examples/Examples.htm

the other alternative is to to use API, which requires you to write/code your own solution https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/APIs/NP+API/index.html

Djaber_T
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Lech_Miszkiewicz @Frank_S

I tried the automatic import of recipients from an excel file (with creation of filter, each user has their own filter) but it still does not work.

where should i use the user filter ? i tried in many spaces and still dont working.

Or is that not possible either?

Regards

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hello again

I can assure you the recipient import does work if the filters are formatted correctly and if you take into account the following.

Here are some issues you might be facing:

Syntax

If you're syntax is not accurate, then it will not work. Correct syntax is shown in the video.

Here is the link describing in detail filter formatting.

Recipient Import FIle

If you are using the wrong import file or have created your own import file. See the article below.

• Do NOT create your own import file.
  • Also from NP April 2020 and newer versions, a new import file is available for download. You must use the import file from April 2020 or later versions
  • You must not add or change columns nor sheets.to your import file

I suggest you do a simple test with a single user, user filter, NP app, NP connection and follow the steps in this article:

Verify the filter

You can check the NP web console for success of your filter import via Apps>Filters. Open the filter and view the filter properties.

You can also verify if the filter is associated to your user added to your import file

You should also check the import log to ensure there were no issues/errors with importing.  (keep in mind that this log may not necessarily tell you if you formatted your filter incorrectly).

It should work if you ensure the above.

All that said, if your source data is a 'dual' then this could be the cause of the issue (assuming the filter formatted correctly in your import file and all the above is met )

Or if you have unsupported items in your source Qlik Sense Application, this too could cause filtering problems.

Kind regards..