Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rookianil
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlik Nprinting task changes needed with Qlikview server upgrade and migration

Dear experts,

We are upgrading our QlikView servers from 11.2 to 12.3 and at the same time moving to new servers. Could you please let me know what changes needed on Qlik Nprinitng server end so that all tasks can run fine with QLikView upgrade and migration? And we have just Qlik Nprinting prod server.

Do I need to change all connections on Nprinting server? And,

Do we need to upgrade QlikView desktop on Nprinting server from 11.2 to 12.3? Can I test my tasks without doing this step because if my QlikView upgrade fails, I want keep pointed to old QV server.

Please help.

Labels (2)
2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

First of all check https:// help.qlik.com for requirements. Also make sure that you will have NPrinting version which will support version of QlikView you will be upgrading to. All this is available on help website so I will not duplicate this information..

There you will see that QlikView server and Desktop version MUST be on exactly the same version hence answering your last question i say: YES, you need to upgrade QlikView desktop to the version of the server your connection will point to. 

Now, The approach I would take would be:

• Proceed first with QlikView migration. 
    • you may have some tweaks to do at this stage. So make sure that all reloads are working ok, that all applymaps work, that all functions work etc.. From top of my head there were very small differences on how QlikView dealt with QVD functions and Mappings... this was many years ago though...
  • Once QlikView is sucessfully migrated then you would start worry about NPrinting
  • First I would make a backup of NPrinting repository as this will allow me to quickly roll back all changes you will do in connection strings. (steps are on help website)
  • On NPrinting server you would then upgrade your QlikView desktop to the version of new server, make sure it has license assigned to engine service account and start changing connection string to point to new QlikView server
    • make sure you properly setup NPrinting service account on new QlikView server by adding it to QlikView administrators group etc.. (again - all requirements are on help website)
  • Reload metada and start testing reports
    • I suggest to do it one by one, rather then in bulk as it will be easier to identify issues if there are any.

Long story short - this should not be a big job (from nPrinting side). It would require though change of all NPrinting connections and potentially you will need to add new QlikView server to trusted origins. 

Thats it.

cheers and good luck

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
rookianil
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I Will follow your instructions. Thank you Lech