cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobMuller
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Report distribution to dynamically assigned emails

Hi all, I have been struggling to find a clear solution for my requirement and hope can get some help.

We have a report that needs to be distributed via email to users depending on certain conditions (example, employees with unconfirmed leave).

I already have the Qlik Sense app working, and this app contains the email addresses for the target people, and have the NPrinting report created and working as well.

I would think that Qlik NPrinting could use the email addresses from the app to cycle through and distribute the emails accordingly, but all I've found until now involves creation of recipients and filters for each recipient. We are an organization with over 3000 employees and lots of movements, so doing this manually (or even importing an spreadsheet) is not practical.

Also, please bear in mind that I am a developer, with no access to NPrinting Admin options.

That's all said, I am wondering if NPrinting is capable of doing the above in a simplified way or it really needs to go through the route of creating all the user, filters, etc.

Hope the above is clear and someone could point me in the right direction.

Best Regards, Roberto

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @RobMuller 

1. In order to apply filters on reports based on recipients those recipients MUST be created in NPrinting - there is no other way around it - sorry
  2. Once they are there in NPrinting you have 2 options:
    1. as you said import recipient filters  and link to users - creating and importing recipients is an admin task and has impact on environment so should be discussed with admins
      1. I understand limitations of you being a Developer and not an admin - my argument to that is that people who use NPrinting should be very well trained, should understand how NPrinting works and therefore understand that in order for you to do your job (setup distribution list properly) you need access to certain parts of NPrinting admin console (import task and users, groups and potentially roles). The argument is not what you cannot do at the moment (because it is not your fault and you are right that you cannot do anything at the moment) but what you should be able to do to deliver solution and setup NPrinting in the way it was designed to work. If your client/firm does not understand that it means they dont have understanding of the tool they are using.
    2. use of section access - that still requires use of recipients (but not filters). All those users though would need to be domain users (so no external accounts) and all would have to have Qlik Sense access - which may be impractical.

Bottom line is that out of the box solution requires you to setup and maintain users and preferably filters (as use of section access is slower and impractical). Creating and maintaining recipient import spreadsheet and filters can be done by NPrinting as well - at the end it is excel spreadsheet in certain format (use help site to download sample as it must be in the same format as sample). I use NPrinting to create a spreadsheet which later I import to NPrinting to allow update/import/delete of recipient list and their attributes (filters/roles/groups). The same users usually are added to particular group which I use in publish task to have process fully automated.

Documentation of it is as always on https://help.qlik.com - but since you are a Qlik Partner I am sure you are fully across it anyway. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Import-Users-Fi...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @RobMuller 

1. In order to apply filters on reports based on recipients those recipients MUST be created in NPrinting - there is no other way around it - sorry
  2. Once they are there in NPrinting you have 2 options:
    1. as you said import recipient filters  and link to users - creating and importing recipients is an admin task and has impact on environment so should be discussed with admins
      1. I understand limitations of you being a Developer and not an admin - my argument to that is that people who use NPrinting should be very well trained, should understand how NPrinting works and therefore understand that in order for you to do your job (setup distribution list properly) you need access to certain parts of NPrinting admin console (import task and users, groups and potentially roles). The argument is not what you cannot do at the moment (because it is not your fault and you are right that you cannot do anything at the moment) but what you should be able to do to deliver solution and setup NPrinting in the way it was designed to work. If your client/firm does not understand that it means they dont have understanding of the tool they are using.
    2. use of section access - that still requires use of recipients (but not filters). All those users though would need to be domain users (so no external accounts) and all would have to have Qlik Sense access - which may be impractical.

Bottom line is that out of the box solution requires you to setup and maintain users and preferably filters (as use of section access is slower and impractical). Creating and maintaining recipient import spreadsheet and filters can be done by NPrinting as well - at the end it is excel spreadsheet in certain format (use help site to download sample as it must be in the same format as sample). I use NPrinting to create a spreadsheet which later I import to NPrinting to allow update/import/delete of recipient list and their attributes (filters/roles/groups). The same users usually are added to particular group which I use in publish task to have process fully automated.

Documentation of it is as always on https://help.qlik.com - but since you are a Qlik Partner I am sure you are fully across it anyway. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Import-Users-Fi...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
RobMuller
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hi Lech, many thanks for the clear reply. It means I was assuming the right things.

It makes using the product a bit more complex than we initially expected, but it seems the correct way of doing it anyway. 

Best regards, Roberto

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

When posting new conversations in the community please pay attention to add the correct label with the version of the software you are using. The answer could depends on it.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.