cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kswindlehurst
Contributor III
Contributor III

Runaway event logs under \ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikView\

I have daily 200MB "Events_<servername>_<date>" text files but I can't find any documentation that describes a way to have Nprinting limit their size or quantity.    Any pointers or suggestions other than an external script? 

May 2022 SR3

thx

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok @kswindlehurst  - You could try and check easter egg under Qlik logo (right click on Qlik Logo in About menu) and change verbosity for QlikView desktop on NPrinting engine server. I dont know if this setting is user based so you may need to check if you need to do this when logged on as NPritning engine service account) 

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1692854818841.png

The typical settings would be:

• Event Log Verbosity = Low. Events with Severity ID =1, Severity = Error.
  • Event Log Verbosity = Medium. The above, plus events with Severity ID = 2, Severity = Warning.
  • Event Log Verbosity = High. The above, plus events with Severity ID = 4, Severity = Information.

Cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @kswindlehurst.

Have you looked what is in those logs? The fact that text files are so large can be attributed to poor environment which logs so many warning and errors that they grow in size. The remedy to it would be action on identifying what those logs contain and action on this. In normal scenario those logs should have few kb but can go large if you run out of the memory or have problem with reports.

My files grew large when I had bad designs in my apps. I was facing errors like this one and that error was logged every few seconds: "500 Warning WorkingSet: Virtual Memory is growing CRITICALLY beyond parameters". Resolving this issue also resolved issue with large log files. Cheers.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/What-does-quot-Warning-WorkingSet-Virtual-Me...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
kswindlehurst
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi ,

The vast majority of events are informational so adjusting the logging level would be ideal (perhaps the only option), but I don't know where that setting is.   

Here's yesterdays breakdown, which seems typical for the handful I skimmed:

kswindlehurst_0-1692800113982.png

kswindlehurst_1-1692800681057.png

-Kevin

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok @kswindlehurst  - You could try and check easter egg under Qlik logo (right click on Qlik Logo in About menu) and change verbosity for QlikView desktop on NPrinting engine server. I dont know if this setting is user based so you may need to check if you need to do this when logged on as NPritning engine service account) 

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1692854818841.png

The typical settings would be:

• Event Log Verbosity = Low. Events with Severity ID =1, Severity = Error.
  • Event Log Verbosity = Medium. The above, plus events with Severity ID = 2, Severity = Warning.
  • Event Log Verbosity = High. The above, plus events with Severity ID = 4, Severity = Information.

Cheers

Lech

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Did you check the official help site page related to logging at https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/Logging.htm ? It also explain how to limit the size of log files and the number of them to be kept. 

Check also if the logging level is different than the default. For example it was set to debug, and forgot to revert it to standard.

Please note that the .config files are all overwritten by the Qlik NPrinting update process. So customizations on them must be manually re-applied after every upgrade. I suggest not to keep old previous .config files and overwrite the new ones with the oldest because newer versions can have different parameters in the config files.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Ruggero_Piccoli 

links you have provided are only talking about NPrinting logs. What @kswindlehurst is talking about is the QlikView desktop log (EventLog) and since NPrinting uses QlikView desktop it can produce quite large files. There is no documentation on that in help document though.

cheers

Lech

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz 

Understand but if the problem is that the disk space is fulling reducing the size and the number of NPrinting logs could help. 

If they imported report templates they could also check the temporary folder C:\ProgramData\NPrinting\imports because with the GA versions it is not deleted automatically. Its content can be deleted manually because after templates import ends that content is no more needed. 

Check also if in %ProgramData%\NPrinting there still are old backups automatically made by upgrade processes. They can delete them and keep just latest one. 

I'm aware I'm suggesting workarounds that doesn't impact QlikView Event Logs but those are typical places where you can save space by deleting no more needed files.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
kswindlehurst
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ah-ha!  I should have noticed "nprinting" wasn't in the log's filepath.   I'm pretty sure it was self-inflicted: we had trouble with qlikview threads not releasing after each dynamic loop 9 or 10 months ago and I think either I or the consultant set this to "4" for troubleshooting.

thank you!