Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AtQlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

Send emails to a group of users from NPrinting

Hi,

In my team we are using Feb 2021 version for both NP and QS. 

I am trying to send an email to a group of users, the users list are dynamically created in a straight table in QS app. What I am trying to achieve here is, extract the email ids from the table and pass it as parameter to NPrinting. From NP, an email need to be generated for each user extracted from the straight table. There are some KPI values in the QS app, I am using HTML embedding to retrieve the KPI values from app and attach it in the email. 

I added all the users to a group and that group is added to the NPrinting groups. In the NPrinting connection, I have checked the box which says "Apply Section Access".

The problem I am facing is, while generating reports for 3k users, the task takes nearly 12 hrs to complete. If i uncheck section access, I couldn't retrieve KPI value specific to each user, but the task gets completed faster. 

I need to send emails to users extracted from straight table from QS app along with KPI values. 

Can anyone share a solution/idea to implement this requirement. 

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

This is not an easy task to discuss on community. It is performance issue related to a volume of reports you need to generate. 

It means that every element needs to be 100% perfect. So the first thing is to check following:

• size and performance of your Qlik Sense app. It must be lightning fast, no delay in any calculation, selection etc.. it must be responding with no delay. That is a must. Often to allow for that you must create dedicated application containgin only data required for NPrinting report (with limited dataset, limited objects, highly aggregated in ETL etc..)
  • You say you are using HTML template. Are you using KPIs as data or as images? Would it be possible to just extract KPI value and format it using inline CSS...There is always room for improvement but we need to know what are we dealing with, hence need to understand how to outcome needs to look like. 
  • I would check if for that report you could use user/recipient filters instead of section access. User filters are generally faster than SA. They can be created and assigned to users using recipient import excel spreadsheet.
  • I would also look at your NPrinting environment + hardware. How many Engines are you running, how many CPU cores and RAM

That would be my starting point. 

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I forgot to mention the most obvious one - Performance of your Qlik Sense server is critical - so make sure that there is nothing slowing it down...

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Using Section Access resulting in worst performances, so longer generation time, respect than native Qlik NPrinting filters. So I suggest you to move to filters. You have to evaluate if you can add the filters creation in the exported Excel file with the users details.

About performances refer also to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Performance.htm and note that the generation time depends also on the structure of the template. For example many Levels, in particular if nested, will result in longer generation times because each combination is a different filter that must be applied and wait until related data are exported. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.