Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
QlikSenseUpdates
Employee
Employee

We are excited to share news on the September 2018 release of Qlik Sense, and would like to highlight some of the key enhancements in this release.

Since the June 2018 Release, we have received overwhelmingly positive feedback on the value of Insight Advisor, and how it suggests the best analytics and insights to explore.  Qlik remains focused on Augmented Intelligence and the September 2018 Release expands the use of Insight Advisor to published Qlik Sense Apps, to encourage further data exploration across the enterprise.  This is only the beginning of how Qlik will reshape the analytics community with the power of our Cognitive Engine, with more to come around AI in future releases!

In addition, we are furthering our commitment to delivering ‘QlikView like’ features in Qlik Sense with our focus on Advanced Authoring.  The September 2018 release offers additional advanced authoring capabilities that enable customers to build sophisticated data layouts while improving the speed of application development through ease of use.  These include:

• Better control over information density within the Qlik Sense client for devices that support touch and mouse input
  • Default bookmarks for setting initial selection state when applications are opened
  • The ability to turn off responsiveness of the client for custom sheet sizing
  • Expression Editor enhancements including direct links to help, restructured function categorization and improved search capabilities
  • Visualization control improvements including conditional show/hide in pivot tables and customizable master measures

Charts Sept 2018.png
We are excited to announce another high-value enhancement delivering a key customer requirement. The September 2018 Release offers the ability to move multiple apps from stream to stream which removes the previous limitations from the Qlik Management Console (QMC).  Further, we have made investments to improve performance and stability with upgrades to our open source front-end framework.

The September 2018 Release will also deliver enhanced mapping capabilities including a new Density Map Layer that is very useful when mapping data on a highly localized and detailed level.    The Density Map Layer is a multi-color gradient background where the color intensity depends on the weight and closeness of points.  This map layer is useful for mapping data such as: crime statistics, house values, etc.  The release does not stop there as we have made other general mapping improvements around additional controls and data inputs.

DensityMapImage.png

For value-added products, we’ve strengthened the capabilities of Qlik NPrinting around administration, expanded authoring, and improved security for report consumption.  For example, you can now import users/roles from an LDAP source and, if desired, you can substitute the TLS Cipher suite.  In addition, Qlik NPrinting now has session expiration log out, output of reports in .xlsm formats, and report level password protection. 

We continue to expand connectivity with the addition of Microsoft Azure DB and Jira connectors, while also delivering enhanced security with LDAP authentication within the integrated connector to Presto. More to come later this month on additional SAP connectors!

And last, the September 2018 release addresses the mobile security requirements of large enterprise deployments, delivering full support for AirWatch EMM. As AirWatch is among the fastest growing EMM vendors, it is critical for Qlik in becoming a tier one vendor to integrate well with and support this platform! 

The much-anticipated Qlik Associative Big Data Index is to be released later this month via a new Early Access Program (EAP).  Look out for more information in the coming days.

Watch the What's New video to see these awesome features in action:

What's New in Qlik Sense September 2018

Can't see the video? YouTube blocked by your region or organization? Download the .mp4 attached to this post to watch on your computer or mobile device.

Resources:

59 Comments
Or
MVP
MVP

After reading the release notes, I'm quite disappointed with the initial selection state update. Using a bookmark for initial selections is not feasible - bookmarks are too static, and only one can be used per document, meaning it's basically impossible to use this for anything but very simple apps. I expected something akin to QlikView triggers, which allows formulaic selections to be made based on the information actually contained within the app at a given time and with a user's permissions, rather than a static bookmark which may refer to selections the user can't even access.

Some workarounds using script flags might be able to eventually get us most of the way to dynamic selections using a single bookmark, but even if it works for some use cases, this option isn't great - it means the user will enter the app with a bunch of selections made on flag fields, rather than on the fields they're supposed to use to select data

Maybe something for a future version...

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Thanks for all your comments - Hello Or - I have tagged czo‌ who will take this feedback to the products team.

0 Likes
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike - have you contacted Qlik support to find out a timeline on the fix? Do we have confirmation that a bug case was opened for the Oracle issue?

0 Likes
vrc
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Pavan Kumar,
let me see if tmg‌ has more on this.

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Likes
mikeslade
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Michael - You acknowledged it on the June thread and said you would inform a few people, I've not heard anything further, I did post a follow up reply end of August to see if there was any further info. Happy to raise this elsewhere if needs be, if you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

0 Likes
chaper
Creator III
Creator III

Show/Hide in pivot table, Bookmarks and density maps nice additions.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike - to cover all bases - I have contacted your Qlik rep and the product team regarding the issue - (I reviewed the previous thread as well and sent them all the info) - Some things they will / may ask - have you contacted anyone in the Qlik support organization? - or those that are responsible for Qlik support for your organization (such as a partner etc.)? - have you opened a case? - do you have a case number? You can open a case here: https://qliksupport.force.com/ - if you do not have a support contract you can still open a case as a guest user: https://qliksupport.force.com/articles/000043153 - please DM directly or reach me on Twitter @mtarallo - if you do not hear anything soon.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

0 Likes
Caique_Zaniolo
Employee
Employee

Hi Shoham,

The Default Bookmark is intended for guided analytics use cases in which the developer needs to establish the first selection state for all users.

The ability to define something similar at the user lever is on the roadmap, as well as actions and triggers for Qlik Sense.

Stay tuned!

Or
MVP
MVP

Thanks for the information - glad to know it's in the road map. This has remained a major roadblock in using Sense for the sort of complex apps that QlikView handles well, and unlike many of the other issues where Sense has yet to catch up with View, this one can't (easily?) be handled with extensions.

0 Likes
sebasdpereira
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi guys!

In first place, sorry for my bad english! All these improvements looks great! I will test asap!

There is something that I was awaiting since a lot of releases (and sorry for not to request before). Since QV, we try always to work with modular and parametrizable variables, for expressions, labels and even dimentions where it is convenient. The law is: don't repeat any code.

For this work, we make a hard begining work in a matrix with dimmentions vs expressions, and see patterns between them. The best result could be some variable expressions with many parameters, and some other variables in upper layers with some fixed parameters. There are some other variables with typical values (colors or gradients, time intervals, help texts...) We have some general functions that we reuse in different customer projects.

In our Qlik Sense developments, the Measures and Dimmentions uses these variables, like a top layer of these variables, but we guess that if we could make reference from a Measure expression to another Measure would be the great, and if we could pass parameters would be the best!

Do you think that it will be available soon? I guess that it would be good for the next "Global Library".

Thanks!!!

0 Likes