Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
QlikSenseUpdates
Employee
Employee

As the summer months begin to heat up so too are things here at Qlik with the much-anticipated Qlik Sense June 2018 Release. Packed with so many great new features, and it is hard to know where to start...

What's New in Qlik Sense June 2018 (.mp4 video below)

To begin with, say hello to the Insight Advisor as our newest and very exciting advancement in Augmented Intelligence (AI).  The Insight Advisor suggests the best analytics and insights for users to consider and explore.  This capability, powered by our cognitive engine and works with our Qlik Associative Engine to provide insight suggestions and automation that are in context with user’s intuition and behavior to support our vision around pervasive data literacy within the organization.  In short, this very cool feature is only the beginning of how our cognitive engine will continue to reshape the analytics community.

New features around accelerated self-service help users get to insights that much faster.  Qlik’s cognitive engine also powers alternative chart suggestions, which allows users to explore different chart options easily.  Simple drag-and-drop functionality enable users to easily switch dimensions and measures to drive a quicker and more intuitive way to visualize data.  We also made advancements around data loading capabilities providing a user-friendly and integrated way to control the  loading of your data, with easily applied filters and aggregations.

As always, we are continually developing new visualizations and enhanced mapping capabilities.  This release boasts a new line layer map chart, which allows users to visualize relationships such as areas or flows of goods, or money between geographic locations.  A scrollbar chart toggle feature allows users to toggle off a visualization’s scrollbar on charts when using the continuous axis to control the appearance and make better use of the sheet’s space to highlight other chart aspects. Lastly, we are giving users more control over the straight table with the ability to show or hide columns conditionally based on expressions.

We are also introducing Accessibility capabilities with this release.  Chart to table flipping allows a user to switch visualizations to a table presentation, inspect values and make selections.  Keyboard table selections enable value selection in charts that have been flipped to a table.  In addition, we have added screen reader tags that can be read out properly to the user when using a screen reader program.  Lastly, users can navigate and interact with the Qlik help site using keyboard keys and shortcuts, resize/zoom text and images and get a good contrast for text, icons, and images. 

We are committed to enhancing ways to collaborate across the organization using the QSE platform, and the June 2018 Release supports this with a new “My Work” section within the hub. Now users can easily identify apps in this section that are published and those that are not giving users more control around publishing apps.  Owners of apps can also promote and un-promote community sheets, which provides great value when promoting a compelling insight that might add value for other users in the system as authorized content to the “base sheets”

Improved management and governance capabilities for app republishing from the hub eliminate the need to browse the QMC and simplifies the app lifecycle workflow.  This release also provides improvements to our API to export / import an app with or without data, and ability to import & replace an app UI while keeping the data.

As written up in a recent innovation blog, Qlik is focused on building out capabilities around “Advanced Authoring” capabilities in Qlik Sense!  Specific to this release, we have improved sheet layout options, which now include scrollable sheets and control over grid size with objects.  You will also see an improved set of options around creating expressions, which allows users to easily explore and see expected syntax for all Qlik Sense chart functions from the Editor dialog. 

Last and quite possibly the biggest part of the June 2018 Release, is the launch of our Multi-Cloud offering, which will give customers a way to successfully transition to cloud analytics!  Qlik’s multi-cloud analytics solution supports any analytics use case regardless of where data is stored or how the platform is deployed.  This will allow Qlik customers to keep their data where they want it – across on-premise and single- or multi-cloud deployments using clouds of their choice.  Customers can define their own rules and policies around where data is stored and how it is distributed to optimize computing across different environments and provide a seamless experience across their infrastructure. 

With the release of Multi-Cloud we also offer a new cloud hub, which delivers a flexible, modern and personalized view of analytics to all consumers of cloud content in multi-cloud deployments of Qlik Sense. The new cloud hub allows users to organize content in collections and easily get to commonly used apps by favoriting them. This works on any device, as it is built using responsive design. Over the next few releases, the cloud hub will add more features to accelerate time to insight for all users.

Qlik is also introducing updates that streamline the Qlik Sense client packaging with the introduction of Webpack , a new technology for module bundling JavaScript® applications.  

All this, and more including Qlik Nprinting enhancements and expanded connectivity!

You can watch the video above or visit our YouTube channel to learn more: Qlik Sense June 2018 - What's New - YouTube

Other Resources:

Can't see the video? YouTube blocked by your region or organization? Download the attached .mp4 to watch on your computer or mobile device.

56 Comments
Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

Hi Justin,

within our June Release this is only available through the API's. Exposing it and making it available within the QMC is currently planned for the upcoming September Release.

How to use it through the API's is described on those links I'm adding to my answer below. When you do an export, you can choose if you want to skip the data or not. Same is true for an import. Meaning if the App in your target environment already contains a data blob ,you can keep that data and only importing the updated QVF except for the data. This will merge the existing data blob with the updated version of the QVF. You could even use version control tools to check in multiple versions of a QVF and then pick and choose the version you want to use in your PROD environment for instance.

Hope this helps and best regards,

Thomas

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/June2018/Subsystems/RepositoryServiceAPI/Content/Reposit...

- {skipData}: If set to true, the loaded app data will not be included in the exported app. The default value is false.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/June2018/Subsystems/RepositoryServiceAPI/Content/Reposit...

- {keepdata}: If set to false and the imported .qvf file contains app data, the data will be silently discarded. The default value is true.

CarmenReilly
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Satyanjaneyulu!

You can update to June 2018 by downloading it from the Downloads Page. To get there:

1. Go to Qlik.com
  2. Login to Qlik.com
  3. Go to the 'Services' menu
  4. Under the 'Support' category, choose 'Customer Downloads'
  5. Download the latest version

Hope that helps!

-Carmen

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update, Thomas! I went to those pages the other day and didn't see the updated documentation, but do now.

I was hoping that the change was related to publishing - being able to publish the UI of an app to various published apps, without changing their underlying data. Hopefully that comes sometime soon as well.

0 Likes
vkish16161
Creator III
Creator III
0 Likes
Thomas_Hopp
Employee
Employee

always happy to help Justin. And to your question, as a next step we are planning to deliver more improvements within that area. For instance the ability to publish only the UI again if the data hasn't been updated. That is intended to be a default behavior when you publish an App out of the Hub. Within the QMC the plan is to offer a few more options. What you are asking for is to mix and match the UI part of the App with a different Data blob ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that’s what we’re looking for. Currently the only option is to overwrite the data in the published app with the data that’s in the unpublished app. It would be wonderful to only push UI updates to the published apps so that we don’t have to reload the data prior to publishing, as this can take some time (potentially several times if you require multiple instances of an app).

0 Likes
samwork1
Contributor III
Contributor III

mto‌ Hey Mike - I need you to follow me to be able to send a DM - also there is a screen shot I'd like to send you just to be clear on what I am asking.

0 Likes
mikeslade
Contributor III
Contributor III

Since upgrading Desktop to June release, we are unable to use the oracle connector (Error below)Capture.PNG

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the April release and it works fine. Has this been reported elsewhere.

*I'd originally posted this in the June 2017 release comments, not too helpful. If this isn't the right place, please direct me

Thanks.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike- I will inform a few people about this - you can post discussion threads on this topic here: Qlik Sense - Data Connectivity - you will either hear back from me or a Qlik products person. Stand by - and thanks for letting us know.

0 Likes
Harry_M
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi all,

I cannot select multiple columns when trying to unpivot an excel file in the data manager, anybody else experiencing this?

Edit: Actually I can but the top half of the field name is cut off!

Capture.JPG

0 Likes