Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jet
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlik Replicate Naming Convention

Hi,

We are on the early stages of using Replicate and I was assigned to create naming conventions for all the objects. Do you have any standard naming conventions that you are using or can you point me to any documentations regarding this? thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dima_etkin
Support
Support

Hi 

Different customers choose different approaches to this, but in general, the more automation you bring into the Replicate CI/CD process , the less environment specific variables you will need to introduce to the naming convention. 

However it is important to follow the guidelines below:

• Any configurable component (notifications, transformations, etc...) should have a significant and descriptive names
  • Source and Target endpoints should have the identification of the "direction" in their name - SRC_MSSQL_Area / TGT_ADLS_Datalake
  • Source and Target endpoints may point to same databases but have UserIDs specific to business areaa, hence they should contain reference to the business purpose of the endpoint SRC_MSSQL_Core, SRC_MSSQL_Customers, SRC_DB2I_Policies 
  • Task names should contain their business meaning to easily identify them in the list and to potentially use it to assign task specific permissions

Other considerations:

If manual task promotions are eminent, environment name could be threaded into the task/endpoint names to avoid any mistakes when manually importing the task JSON into a target environment:

• tsk_DEV_src_tgt_business_meaning
  • SRC_DEV_MSSQL_Core
  • TGT_DEV_ADLS_DataLake

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Madhavi_Konda
Support
Support

Hi Jet,

Are you talking about source/target your application related tables naming conventions or
attunity internal objects that will be created during the replication process?

Thanks,
Madhavi

Jet
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Madhavi,

The best practices and standards in naming objects in replicate such as tasks, source and target end points, etc. Like for example in SQL Server, we name objects like this:

Schema.tbl_TableName

Schema.sp_storedprocedurename

If you can give me a guide for the naming conventions that would be helpful. Thanks!

dima_etkin
Support
Support

Hi 

Different customers choose different approaches to this, but in general, the more automation you bring into the Replicate CI/CD process , the less environment specific variables you will need to introduce to the naming convention. 

However it is important to follow the guidelines below:

• Any configurable component (notifications, transformations, etc...) should have a significant and descriptive names
  • Source and Target endpoints should have the identification of the "direction" in their name - SRC_MSSQL_Area / TGT_ADLS_Datalake
  • Source and Target endpoints may point to same databases but have UserIDs specific to business areaa, hence they should contain reference to the business purpose of the endpoint SRC_MSSQL_Core, SRC_MSSQL_Customers, SRC_DB2I_Policies 
  • Task names should contain their business meaning to easily identify them in the list and to potentially use it to assign task specific permissions

Other considerations:

If manual task promotions are eminent, environment name could be threaded into the task/endpoint names to avoid any mistakes when manually importing the task JSON into a target environment:

• tsk_DEV_src_tgt_business_meaning
  • SRC_DEV_MSSQL_Core
  • TGT_DEV_ADLS_DataLake
Jet
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for the information! this will help a lot in establishing our naming convention standard.