Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iti-attunity-sup
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Replicating Long Object Names exceeding 30 Bytes in Oracle Database

Hello Experts

I have some questions about replicating Long Object Names exceeding 30 Bytes in Oracle Database

I've already checked the article below:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Replicate/Limitations-and-considerations-Oracle/td-p/1878009

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Official-Support-Articles/Replicate-Oracle-source-Long-Object-Names-ex...

However I have some questions regarding the settings and would like to confirm what should I set when we would like to use long object name.

Questions:

1. When running LSS Task and Replication Task, do we have to add internal parameter skipValidationLongNames=true to the Oracle source endpoint of not only LSS task, but also Replication task?

The reason I ask this question is, I noticed that following behavior:

In v2022.11, it worked fine only by adding the parameter to Oracle source endpoint of LSS task, while in v2023.05, I got the warning message below when running the Replication Task if I didn't add the parameter to the Replication Task.

Table 'xxxxx' cannot be captured because the name contains 39 bytes (more than 30 bytes)

Is the behavior of v2023.05 expected and is this an effect of some fixes?

If some fix changes the behavior, would it be possible to let us know the fix in detail?

2. As far as I have confirmed in house, if the table name is more than 30 bytes, even if the column name is less than 30 bytes, I thought that ENABLE_GOLDENGATE_REPLICATION=true is required to replicate update statements.
Is this correct?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kyoko Tajima

Labels (1)
4 Replies
sureshkumar
Support
Support

Hello @iti-attunity-sup 

1. Suppose if we add the skipValidationLongNames=true for the Oracle endpoint in the Parent Task, in the child task(s) we just duplicate oracle endpoint used in parent task, so by default whatever the internal parameters added in parent task will be there in Child task(s) oracle endpoint as well.

I do not think there any fixes regarding the internal parameter does not present in child task but i will double confirm and get back to you.

Kindly share the Qlik Replicate version i.e. 2023.5.0.. 

2. As i worked on the customer cases, only if the column name more than 30 bytes require

ENABLE_GOLDENGATE_REPLICATION=true

Regards,
Suresh

Dana_Baldwin
Support
Support

Hi @iti-attunity-sup 

This is an Oracle limitation. By default we document that we do not support object names exceeding 30 characters: 

• Object names exceeding 30 characters are not supported. Consequently, tables with names exceeding 30 characters or tables containing column names exceeding 30 characters will not be replicated.

Copied from: Limitations and considerations | Qlik Replicate Help

You can work around this using the Golden Gate parameter, but please note, that is a licensed feature by Oracle and they do audit license usage periodically. I presume that the longer object names are not supported without this feature to limit / discourage the use of third-party tools that can take the place of Golden Gate.

Please also refer to this knowledge article: Replicate - Oracle source: Long Object Names excee... - Qlik Community - 1961484

Thanks,

Dana

iti-attunity-sup
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Suresh

Thank you for your kind reply.

The customer uses V2023.5.0.322.
And I confirmed the same behavior in house using V2023.5.0.322.

The customer would like to clarify the change of behavior, and if it is better to file a case to investigate further, could you let me know?

Regards,

Kyoko Tajima

sureshkumar
Support
Support

Hello @iti-attunity-sup 

As i checked release notes in both 2023.5 and 2023.11 but couldn't find any fixes regarding the internal parameter not visible in child task(s).

You can create a support ticket with us or Upgrade to latest service patch in 2023.5 and check

Regards,

Suresh