Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonB2020
Creator
Creator

SAP Application (DB) as a source

I am "Using SAP Application (DB) as a source"
The current documentation indicates that I must have a SAP Communication User set up.

From Docs : "Using SAP Application (DB) as a source"   > "Permissions required for installing Qlik Replicate for SAP Client"
SAP users for Replicate
A dialog user in SAP is required to access the Qlik Replicate for SAP Client GUI in SAP. In addition, a communication user is required to support the RFC calls from the Qlik Replicate software to the SAP system.

Whilst the above makes sense, I also came across this older (undated) documentation from when we first configured the application.

From "Attunity Replicate for SAP"
... SAP Users for Replicate:                              

A dialog user in SAP is required to access the Replicate for SAP Client GUI in SAP.  In addition, a communication user is required to support the RFC calls from the Replicate software to the SAP sytem. Please note:  If using the SAP Application (DB) Endpoint in Replicate the RFC user is not required.  Only the Dialog user is needed.

The wording is exactly the same, apart from the older document stating that the RFC/Communication user is *not* required when using a SAP (DB) endpoint.

Was just hoping if someone could clarify/confirm that a Comm user is actually required in this scenario ?
Would also be intrigued to know more about the mechanisms under the hood here, and how that has changed since the original ?

Thank for any illumination 🙂

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Steinagle
Support
Support

Simon,

Thank you for the reply on the SAP DB Source Endpoint. The RFC calls are not used with the SAP (DB) Source endpoint as this was the old SAP Application Endpoint. The newer SAP Application (DB) accesses the backend DB the SAP environment is pointing too. The Replicate user would need the proper access for the DB the data and Tables are stored on. So with the newer Endpoint as well the connectivity is more Natively using the DB Endpoint connection and not the RFC Calls used in the older Endpoint. Hope this is helpful and please let us know.

Thanks!

Bill

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Steve_Nguyen
Support
Support

the Latest guide is correct.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/replicate/May2022/Content/Global_Common/Content/SharedReplicateHDD/SAP-A...

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
simonB2020
Creator
Creator
Author

Steve,

I have a task using "SAP Application (DB)"  source endpoint at the moment.
It seems to be replicating Full Load and CDC, despite not having a comm user in SAP.

Either my security team have missed something in their checks, or I am misunderstanding the above instructions.
Could you shed any light?

Thanks

Bill_Steinagle
Support
Support

Simon,

Thank you for the reply on the SAP DB Source Endpoint. The RFC calls are not used with the SAP (DB) Source endpoint as this was the old SAP Application Endpoint. The newer SAP Application (DB) accesses the backend DB the SAP environment is pointing too. The Replicate user would need the proper access for the DB the data and Tables are stored on. So with the newer Endpoint as well the connectivity is more Natively using the DB Endpoint connection and not the RFC Calls used in the older Endpoint. Hope this is helpful and please let us know.

Thanks!

Bill

simonB2020
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Bill,

Are we saying that the current documentation is incorrect ?

Filed under "Using SAP Application (DB) as a source"
Permissions required for installing Qlik Replicate for SAP Client ‒ Qlik Replicate
Where that says "a communication user is required to support the RFC calls from the Qlik Replicate software to the SAP system"

Thanks

Bill_Steinagle
Support
Support

Simon,

Hi and thank you for the reply. This is for the SAP Application side and yes the permissions need to be set properly for the Communication but keep in mind the DB access where the data is Stored from SAP is where Replicate will read the data from. The Metadata and Tables details are processed from the SAP Application and the Data is processed via the DB Endpoint you define for the backend DB for the SAP DB. Hope this clears this up.

Bill

simonB2020
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Bill,
I'm afraid that I am more confused than ever.

Some of the responses above indicate that I do NOT need a communication user.
And indeed I have a Task happily churning away without one.

Yet at the same time, you are stating that the documentation is correct and that I DO need a communication user.

Maybe I don't understand SAP well enough to interpret this ?
Here's the questions still unresolved in my mind ...
a) If I DO need a comm user, then how is my task currently running without one ?
b) If I do NOT need a comm user, then why does the documentation say that I DO need one ?

Thanks

Bill_Steinagle
Support
Support

Hi,

Thank you for the reply to this post. There are a few SAP Endpoints and the SAP Application (DB) Endpoint that you are using does not have to have the COMM user for the Replicate setup as this is done via the backend DB and the native connection you setup in Replicate. As noted if you are using the SAP Application DB Endpoint I would also check the below link as the Replicate user you define to the backend DB is the connection used for reading the data from the Source for this SAP environment. Hope this helps and confirms for you. I believe the old SAP Application Endpoint would have the COMM/Communication user defined.

Note: The older SAP Application Endpoint uses the RPC calls from the SAP Database for the communication to the data. This Endpoint setup would use the communication user where as the SAP data is stored.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/replicate/May2022/Content/Global_Common/Content/SharedReplicateHDD/SAP-A...

Thanks!

Bill