Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidmc1
Contributor II
Contributor II

HOW acces point knows which documents can you see even when section access is in .qvw???

Hi all, we have lot of qlikview app's many of them apply section access by code. We want to know wich users can see wich documents in a simple way.

When a user log in access point, the system only shows the documents that this user can see, i want to know how.

I suppose that qvws access that information in real time... seconds, so, wich way?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gardenierbi
Creator II
Creator II

Each QVW contains a XML header with metadata. One part of this header is section access. If section access is used in a document only the people added to that document will see the document in the AccessPoint.

Take a QVW with section access and open this document with a text editor (for example Notepad++). Search voor "HasSectionAccess". You should find : "<HasSectionAccess>true</HasSectionAccess>". A few lines lower you will find the granted user accounts:

<SectionAccessNames>

<String>SRV\ADMINISTRATOR</String>

<String>SRV\SUPPORT1</String>

<String>SRV\SUPPORT2</String>

<String>SRV\SALES</String>

A QVW can be used as a XML source. Read all of your QVW's with some script and you can extract all the users per document.

There is also the free Governance dashboard. This dashboard does the same and more! See : The QlikView Governance Dashboard | Qlik

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SergeyMak
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi David,

I have never heard that Qlik View server does it.

Usually it's based on NTFS (files system) permissions. In that case Qlik doesn't need to read Section Access from the apps (I don't think it does it in this particular case), but just read file system permissions or its own settings, if it's managed by the server.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Sergey

Regards,
Sergey
davidmc1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Sergey.

First i mean qvws, web server. In the server/publisher manual it is also documented. "The AccessPoint is the portal where QlikView users obtain QlikView documents. AccesPoint files are hosted by the QlikView Web Server wich also takes care of the authentication process. In order to see the list of available documents at the AccessPoint the user has to be authenticated first"  But It doesn't explain how, and that is what i wanna know.

In fact, at the QMC users tab, you can also search by user and "on the Document tab, all of the user documents and the source documents that a user has access to are presented." This is the same process i think and i want to know how... because we want to query by document name not by user, and also want to make it with a batch job.

We use DMS authorization

Regards.

RD
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

‌This is determined by the user groups a document is published to in the publishing task.  If a user is in that group they will see the doc on access point.

edit:  we are using DMS also.

gardenierbi
Creator II
Creator II

Each QVW contains a XML header with metadata. One part of this header is section access. If section access is used in a document only the people added to that document will see the document in the AccessPoint.

Take a QVW with section access and open this document with a text editor (for example Notepad++). Search voor "HasSectionAccess". You should find : "<HasSectionAccess>true</HasSectionAccess>". A few lines lower you will find the granted user accounts:

<SectionAccessNames>

<String>SRV\ADMINISTRATOR</String>

<String>SRV\SUPPORT1</String>

<String>SRV\SUPPORT2</String>

<String>SRV\SALES</String>

A QVW can be used as a XML source. Read all of your QVW's with some script and you can extract all the users per document.

There is also the free Governance dashboard. This dashboard does the same and more! See : The QlikView Governance Dashboard | Qlik

RD
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Thanks for sharing this tip!  It is very helpful.

In our QV setup, however, users can see the thumbnail for a qvw on accesspoint whether or not they've been granted section access.  If they are in the AD group that the document gets published to, they see it.  They can't access it - that is, they get prompted for a username and password -  but they see it.  Are you using Publisher and DMS? 

davidmc1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Ron,

There is an option at desktop in the tab "server" that is "Filter document list based on Section Access". In my case, using DMS and without using groups works fine.

If you read desktop help it says that not always hide document...

If you have the option checked maybe it should be because of publishing to a group. You can try also publishing to all authenticated and only users in the section access will see the app's.

Regards.