Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ganeshkale
Contributor
Contributor

Qlik sense scalability Tools -Source Code

Hello All,

I am new to this group and Qlik technology all together, so please excuse my ignorance.

Is "Qlik sense scalability Tools" a commnity developed tool or something licensed by Qlik?

If developed by community, do we have any access to its source code (Github or anything else)?

We are wondering if the tool can be extended further on top its core offerrings, to suit the needs of specific projects.

Thanks

Ganesh

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

@ganeshkale: For (2), do explore the part of the docs which discuss launching the SDK process manually. Example syntax that I've used:

C:\scalabilitytools-5.1.0\SDKExerciser\Sep2018\SDKExerciserConsole.exe config="C:\scalabilitytools-5.1.0\Scenario\5kapp_1000concurrent_2s_rampup.json" configname="1-New task-5kapp_1000concurrent_2s_rampup" server=ServerName app="325c3daa-1aeb-434c-9c1d-c7ce14ee201a" ssl=True headername=X-Qlik-User virtualproxyprefix=header iterations=-1 usernameprefix=Exerciser4 concurrentusers=1000 rampupdelay=2.00 executiontime=3600 instancenumber=1 appmode=Open newuserforeachiteration=True afteriterationwait=NoWait afteriterationwaittime=0 logDir="C:\scalabilitytools-5.1.0\Results\Kiosk"

Given that you can launch pre-built scenarios without the UI, conceptually I do not see a barrier of launching Scalability in a programmatic manner as part of a build or promotion process.

View solution in original post

SebastianFabian
Former Employee
Former Employee

Like mentioned above, any script designed in the tool can be run from the command line with the SDKExerciserConsole, as mentioned in page 23 in the user manual. To enable continuous testing, this could be invoked periodically from a batch or powershell script.

The results could be analyzed using the analyzer app in a Sense environment set to a periodic reload from the appropriate file. Or use the analyzer app as a basis to customize your own Sense app for doing this. Alerting based on this can be achieved using NPrinting for continuous safeguarding.

Internally, we are evaluating different ways to interface with time-series databases and external monitoring tools such as Prometheus although I have nothing to announce at this time. I cannot say exactly what will come of this but rest assured that with an increased focus on cloud technologies we are looking to keep up with that.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SebastianFabian
Former Employee
Former Employee

Scalability Tools is an official release from the Qlik, however it doesn't come with official support. It's closed source. What type of extension do you have in mind? Maybe it's a use case that's already possible.

ganeshkale
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Thanks for your quick reply.

I havent yet gone through the entire documentation of the tool. sorry about that.

But we are quickly evaluating this tool to fit into our agile processes and below possibilities we are looking at:

Objective :  Setup a L&P test infrastructure for multiple projects centrally and enable continuous testing (using our client's internal continuous testing platform) against On-Prem Qlik Sense Cloud platform with multiple project teams working on multiple streams/Apps. Its needed considering multiple long term projects are in planning with this technology for our client.

Customization to start with :

1. Push live metrics to time series database like influxDB and plot them live on tool like Grafana. (Rather than analyzing later manually using Qlik Analyzer tool)

2. Automatically, gather all relevant metrics (response times of multilple streams/apps/sheets/functions) and provide quick report to stakeholders release by release, with less manual intervention.

Let me know if the tool is mature enough to support continous L&P tests at scale to multiple projects/stakeholders.

We are also trying to use Loadrunner for that matter but the scripting seems complex and less flexible, QSST seems to be a niche tool to use for L&P testing of Qlik reports.

I dont know if I make sense in the context of Qlik, but let me know your feedback anyway.

Thanks

Ganesh

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

@ganeshkale: For (2), do explore the part of the docs which discuss launching the SDK process manually. Example syntax that I've used:

C:\scalabilitytools-5.1.0\SDKExerciser\Sep2018\SDKExerciserConsole.exe config="C:\scalabilitytools-5.1.0\Scenario\5kapp_1000concurrent_2s_rampup.json" configname="1-New task-5kapp_1000concurrent_2s_rampup" server=ServerName app="325c3daa-1aeb-434c-9c1d-c7ce14ee201a" ssl=True headername=X-Qlik-User virtualproxyprefix=header iterations=-1 usernameprefix=Exerciser4 concurrentusers=1000 rampupdelay=2.00 executiontime=3600 instancenumber=1 appmode=Open newuserforeachiteration=True afteriterationwait=NoWait afteriterationwaittime=0 logDir="C:\scalabilitytools-5.1.0\Results\Kiosk"

Given that you can launch pre-built scenarios without the UI, conceptually I do not see a barrier of launching Scalability in a programmatic manner as part of a build or promotion process.

ganeshkale
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks a lot Leviturner for your suggestion.

Thats definitely a great start for us. 🙂

Any plans you have in future pushing metrics to time series database rather than a flat file?

Flat files are ok to start with but with growing scale, multiple projects/streams, releases, data volumes, multiple scenarios,

We see a problem of scaling our efforts in future.

Any feedback, Suggestion or pointers on achieving this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ganesh

SebastianFabian
Former Employee
Former Employee

Like mentioned above, any script designed in the tool can be run from the command line with the SDKExerciserConsole, as mentioned in page 23 in the user manual. To enable continuous testing, this could be invoked periodically from a batch or powershell script.

The results could be analyzed using the analyzer app in a Sense environment set to a periodic reload from the appropriate file. Or use the analyzer app as a basis to customize your own Sense app for doing this. Alerting based on this can be achieved using NPrinting for continuous safeguarding.

Internally, we are evaluating different ways to interface with time-series databases and external monitoring tools such as Prometheus although I have nothing to announce at this time. I cannot say exactly what will come of this but rest assured that with an increased focus on cloud technologies we are looking to keep up with that.

ganeshkale
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks a lot!

We would appreciate your efforts towards that direction as it will make our life easy in scaling up our efforts serving multiple projects/Steams/Apps those are plannig to host their analytics over on-Prem Qlik platform.

Agree that it would take some time on experimenting on this direction at your end and we will keep an eye on any news from you on the same. All the best!

Thanks

Ganesh