Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar Chart Time Sorting

Hello,

I am a new Qlik user, and am just starting in the world of analytics.

I have a client that recently asked me to build a "Beat Rate" chart in Qlik. Apparently this type of chart comes from a Six Sigma methodology.

I thought this kind of implementation would be simple, as basically it is just recreating a trend. The data recorded on a production line looks like this.

My load script looks like this.

Dead simple, 2 columns, one with a time stamp, one with a value. The above is a snip of sample data that I have manually generated, but the source data will by coming from an SQL query that looks the same as above.

I want to use a bar chart that basically gives me the value for a given time stamp ordered by time ascending. However when I load the data into the Qlik Sense bar chart tool, I get this.

All of the values are grouped together, with a bunch of leading zero records. They are not ordered numerically ascending by time.

I've added time as a dimension and beat rate as a value.

When I apply sorting options, it seems to only sort the label associated with the data, and not the order of the data itself.

I want this bar chart to be sorted linearly by time. My sorting option look like this.

This also doesn't make sense to me. If this bar graph is a representation of "sorting by load order" why would Qlik on the data import, first import all the 0 records, and then the records with values? This makes no logical sense.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm very new at this!

Cheers,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

All you have to do is Drag the "TimeField" at top.

First Sort criteria should be on "TimeField" instead of "Bit Rate".

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

All you have to do is Drag the "TimeField" at top.

First Sort criteria should be on "TimeField" instead of "Bit Rate".

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Thank you so much, I knew it had to be something simple I was missing!

Worked like a charm! I didn't realize it sorted in order of listing in the sort tab. I'll remember this for next time.

Sort order now appears as follows

Bar Chart now looks like this

Again thanks so much!

Jesse