Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenBC
Contributor II
Contributor II

Binary Load / Location of QVF files

Hi all,

I have a very complex requirement to pull a large amount of data from various datasources into 1 app for my userbase.  I have static historic data and daily refreshing current data which needs to be combined and filtered based on criteria needed by my end user.  

I had hoped i could take advantage of binary loads as QVDs are very slow for me (my data is in Canada and my servers are in UK and I have a big latency issue).  By having a static app with all my history, binary loading that into my current app (which i can refresh daily) which I can then filter and spit out much smaller qvd files is a process which works when everything is updated manually.  As soon as i try and do it through automated refresh tasks in QMC, the binary loads don't work.  I don't have section access involved so i believe my binary load doesnt work because the files are locked in my enterprise server environment as per https://support.qlik.com/articles/000011152

Question for the group - is there a way i can run my refreshes and then store a copy of my qvf in a different location to my app folder (effectively giving me a static copy of my app which is not affected by the maintenance jobs) so I can support my binary load approach?  I've attached a rough image of my logic.  Any advice welcome.  

1 Reply
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

One thing you can do is create a physical copy(QVF) of your history app and store it under any other location than Qlik Apps. And then use the Legacy mode in Qlik Sense to do a binary load from that file.

For example, assuming your history.qvf is stored under C:\HistoryData\ then your binary load after enabling the legacy mode in Qlik Sense will look like below.

BINARY [C:\HistoryData\History.qvf];

For enabling legacy mode check this link.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-admin/June2020/Subsystems/DeployAdministerQSE/Content/Sense_Deploy...

Check the standard mode option.

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!