Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Collaborate On Qlik Sense Enterprise App Development

Hello,

We are a Scrum team of 4+ developers who want to build out numerous Qlik Sense charts collaboratively (i.e. at the same time).  We are seeking to use Qlik as an embedded solution into our product.

We Desire

• 1 team member needs to build our load script and prepare our data model
  • 2 team members need to build out the Charts (KPIs, Line Charts, etc)
  • 1 team member needs to refine the charts for proper look and feel.

We have numerous charts to build out in the same App.

Goals

How can we work efficiently, so that:

1. We do not risk wiping out each others changes with "Publishing" actions
  2. We can merge our work all into the same Qlik Sense App smoothly.

- - - - - - -

We Considered

1. Checking in the full App (with test data) into our source control
  2. Retrieving it from there to practice our "implementation"
  3. Choose who get's write access to "Publish" and source control.

But this doesn't seem to meet either of our two goals.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

In this post, I realized that I forgot some meaningful context about the challenges we perceive:

Challenge #1

Once an App is published to a Stream (e.g. “Everyone”) then editing cannot occur upon that App directly. To edit that app, Qlik requires us to duplicate the existing App into a personal stream called “My Work”, that (we understand) only the individual can see.

Challenge #2

Merging work isn't possible with a merge tool (e.g. KDff3) upon Qlik Apps.

If I have a misunderstanding, please let me know.

thank you!

Michael

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Michael,

I have informed the appropriate individuals, someone should be reaching out to you shortly. If you do not hear anything please let me know.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hello Michael Tarallo,

At the end of TUE (California Time) we have not been contacted about concurrent development. 

-Michael

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Michael - I had received confirmation that someone will be reaching out to you, I have gently reminded them. 🙂

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

jpe‌ - Hey Jonathan - any insights you can share?

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Michael & Michael,

You can have the load script person work on his own app, and the UI developers work on a different app. The way to do this is to binary load the load script app into the UI app. Whenever the UI developers hit reload , it will inherit the current state of the data model. I think that will work. Binary load is the way to do it.

Where you run into collisions is on the UI objects. You could have them develop separate UI objects in different apps all loaded from the same data model, but then your library of charts span 3 apps.

What to do ?

It is possible to break down the security rules so that 'my work' box shows the same copy of the same app in each developers 'my work' but that still won't prevent update collisions and it won't bring  a checkin/checkout feature. No luck there.

The Qlik Sense deployment console is a tool that moves content from one environment to another but i don't believe it will breakdown the components of an app so i don't that will work for you out of box either. No luck there either.

So from what i understand you can apply a checkin/checkout capability using the QRS API (Qlik Sense repository service api) to programtically insert components of the UI. It would involve creating a development framework using the API to implement this.

I have seen that at least one partner has provided a possible solution (in4bi) which you may want to review to get a feeling for the workflow and whether it will meet your 3 criteria. 

Platform Manager for Qlik - in4bi.com

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Jonathan ,

Thanks for your thorough answer--even guiding us through options what will not work.

When I looked into the first solution using the QRS API with development framework shell around it, I couldn't find the

pages that would help us create charts within apps. 

However, this Qlik Engine API helps us create an app and charts:

https://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-us/developer/Subsystems/EngineAPI/Content/CreatingAppLoadingData/...

https://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-us/developer/Subsystems/EngineAPI/Content/WorkingWithAppsAndVisua...

Have I found what I should be looking at in the Qlik Engine API?

thank you!

-Michael

Mira_io
Contributor II
Contributor II

@JonnyPoole  wrote

It is possible to break down the security rules so that 'my work' box shows the same copy of the same app in each developers 'my work' but that still won't prevent update collisions and it won't bring  a checkin/checkout feature. No luck there.

Hello Jonny and Michael^2 ,

the original post was so long ago, but I am struggling hard with a similar issue so I'll still give it a shot: Did you find a solution for your problem? And how is it possible to access the same copy through different work streams as mentioned by Jonny?

Would be great if you could help me out there,

Mira