Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxim1500
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Counting securities associated with 3 or less accounts

Hi,

I am trying to count securities (dimension) that are associated with 3 or less accounts (another dimension). Both IDs appear in my fact table. I need the amount per advisor ID, a third dimension, also in the fact table. The following query actually works but is really slow:

sum(aggr({<[Snapshot Date] = {"$(=max([Snapshot Date]))"}>}if(count(distinct [Account ID]) <= 3, 1, 0),[Security ID], [Advisor ID]))

I guess the issue is the double aggregation in my query. Any idea on how I could get the same result a little faster?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Try this expression:

Count(DISTINCT {<Key = {"=Count(DISTINCT [Account ID]) <= 3"}, [Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Key)

/Count({<[Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Distinct [Security ID])

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share a small sample? Would be easier to resolve if we can see the issue

maxim1500
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi again,

I can barely reproduce the slowness in a small scale sample. I generated a 1M rows random dataset to try to mimic the issue. Mine contains many million rows. At least you will get a better idea of what I am trying to do.

Thanks!

sunny_talwar

How about something like this in the script:

[Position Monthly]:

LOAD

[ID],

[Snapshot Date],

[Account ID],

[Advisor ID],

[Security ID]

FROM [lib://Temp/fragmentation_sample.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Position Monthly]);

AggrTable:

LOAD [Security ID],

[Advisor ID],

If(Count(DISTINCT [Account ID]) <= 3, 1, 0) as Flag

Resident [Position Monthly]

Group By [Security ID], [Advisor ID];

New Expression:

Sum({<[Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Flag)/Count({<[Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Distinct [Security ID])

maxim1500
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

The thing is the accounts can be filtered, so when the filter is applied, the number of fragmented securities will change

sunny_talwar

Another option would be something like this:

[Position Monthly]:

LOAD

[ID],

AutoNumber([Advisor ID]&'|'&[Security ID], 'AdvisorSecurityKey') as Key,

[Snapshot Date],

[Account ID],

[Advisor ID],

[Security ID]

FROM [lib://Temp/fragmentation_sample.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Position Monthly]);

Expression:

Sum({<Key = {"=Count(DISTINCT [Account ID] <= 3"}, [Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} 1)/Count({<[Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Distinct [Security ID])

maxim1500
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi,

I tried your solution in my sample app, and I didn't get it to work. Here is the modified sample.

I am not sure I understand the concept neither... If I use an autonumber, I understand that it will create in memory a temporary table with autoincrement keys for each Advisor ID / Security combination. How can these keys match {"=Count(DISTINCT [Account ID] <= 3"}?

Thanks! Really appreciate your support!

sunny_talwar

Try this expression:

Count(DISTINCT {<Key = {"=Count(DISTINCT [Account ID]) <= 3"}, [Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Key)

/Count({<[Snapshot Date] = {"$(=Max([Snapshot Date]))"}>} Distinct [Security ID])

Capture.PNG

maxim1500
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Indeed! Thanks! Would you mind to explain me why this is working? I don't get the key idea...

sunny_talwar

I am creating a key where we are checking the count of account. To use set analysis in this scenario, we need to use a search string (=Count(DISTINCT [Account ID]) <= 3) but this will only work against a unique combination of Security ID and Advisor ID (This is based on the fact that you were using the if statement and count of account on these two dimensions in the aggr function. This gave me the idea to combine these to to form a key to use in set analysis). Once combined, I had to play around with it a little to get the matching number.

I hope all the above made sense? I would be interested in knowing if it actually improved performance or if it is almost the same as before?

Best,

Sunny