Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom KML - Display Area Label

Dear All,

Greetings!

I am new to using  custom KML in Qlik Sense Map reports. I use Qlik Sense June 2017 version. I am trying to build a visualization where I try show the seat layout from a theatre or bus in a Qlik Sense Area map. I have seats in 8 columns (A,B,C,D,E,F.G,H) and 30 rows and in my sample data I have added the Occupancy % and Revenue genrated from those seats.

I was able to build a KML file and ingest few seat location details there and I am able to view the Occupancy and Revenue generated from those seating locations.

However my map doesnot display the label for the seat (A1, B1, A2  etc). The map displays the seat number only when i hover over it. Can you please let me know how the labels for the seats can be displayed into the seat location (inside the square )

I have attached the QVF and the KML file for your reference.

Please let me know if you need more details.Seat Arrangement.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mall1m
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Aushik,

I think your solution  to align a background image with your seat number, is the best one

I never tried  to change the background but I guess (I hope) it's possible in Sense

In QlikView, I would have tried to use a table chart (with custom color) but I don't think it's possible in Sense

Good luck

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Ausik - let me see if one of our resident community heroes may have a suggestion.

gwassenaar‌ - is this something you are familiar with, can you please take a look?

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Community - is there anyone with some knowledge on this area that can assist Aushik?

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
mall1m

I'm not a KML export but I think the only way is to include the seat number as a multigeometry object

> instead of having a simple square for your object, you should include the label into the object itself

I don't think Sense is able to handle extra properties (name of the object) of the KML to display it directly in the map

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Nicholas

Many thanks for coming back on this topic. I tried to include a multigeometry object which has the polygon and the centre point. Still the label doesnot display.

Sample below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2">

<Document>

<name>Seat</name>

<open>1</open>

<Folder>

<name>1</name>     

<LookAt>

<longitude>0</longitude>

<latitude>0</latitude>

<altitude>0</altitude>

</LookAt>

<Placemark>

<name>BUS-A1</name>

<multigeometry>

<Polygon>

<extrude>1</extrude>

<altitudeMode>relativeToGround</altitudeMode>

<outerBoundaryIs>

<LinearRing>

<coordinates>

</coordinates>

</LinearRing>

</outerBoundaryIs>

</Polygon>

<Point>

<coordinates>5.0,3.0,0 </coordinates>

</Point>

</multigeometry>

</Placemark>

</Folder>

</Document>

</kml>

***********************************************************************************

I am missing something in the kml content below. I just want to display the polygon name 'BUS-A1' in the centre of the square Can you please help ?

Or can this issue be solved by pairing a background image with this kml co-ordinates ?

Many Thanks!

Best Regards

M.Aushik

mall1m

Hi Aushik,

I think your solution  to align a background image with your seat number, is the best one

I never tried  to change the background but I guess (I hope) it's possible in Sense

In QlikView, I would have tried to use a table chart (with custom color) but I don't think it's possible in Sense

Good luck

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Aushik,

I'm working on something similar but I am a step back - how did you build your seat map?

Thanks,

Adina

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Adina,

I built this seat map using a  KML file and this KML was built using java script to build the co-ordinates for each seat. (After building the code I had to remove the space in '< ' and replace with '<' manually. I am new to JS. You can let me know if there is any better way to do it.

Java script and KML file attached for your reference.

Also if you are able to build the polygon 'label' into the file by any means please let me know as I am looking for the same.

Thanks!

BR

Aushik

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Aushik! Same here. I worked with JS only few times in the past and building such map from scratch is quite a challenge. Have you used any program to design the layout and generate the JS automatically?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Nicolas,

Many thanks for your suggestion. But do you know if any tweak in my kml can bring in the polygon label ?

Best Regards

M.Aushik