Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hartmoli
Partner - Contributor III

Difference Section Access User and Admin - QlikSense

Dear Community,

There is no urgent need for this question, just out of interest.

I was setting up a data reduction for an app, and once again I was asking me if there is still any use or purpose of the field "ACCESS". I do not see any purpose of this fields regarding Section Access in the QlikSense environment.

Qlik helps says:

Access to Qlik Sense apps can be authorized for specified users or groups of users. In the security table, users can be assigned to the access levels ADMIN or USER. If no valid access level is assigned, the user cannot open the app.

A person with ADMIN privileges has access to all data in the app. A person with USER privileges can only access data as defined in the security table

I made a test, but even if I set the ACCESS field to "ADMIN" the data reduction will still be made. That's why i do not see any puropse of the field "ACCESS"  in the QlikSense environment. In case you still see any use case of this field, please let me know : ))

6 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

I don't think ACCESS field is an optional field..

for the user you chose to do the test, maybe you have multiple ACCESS lines with different access rights, like One line Admin and One line USER, in this case, the lowest access level will be taken into account

hartmoli
Author

Hi Youssef

I agree with you that ACCESS is not an optional field.

I've executed some more test, and it seems indeed that the Qlik help site has right, an User with Admin rights will see the whole data set, but it seems a bit unstable.

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Why do you think it is unstable ?

hartmoli
Author

Cause sometimes it still reduce the data even if the ACCESS is set to ADMIN. But anyway, better this way around as it reveals to much.

gmk
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi All, any news on this issue ?
Experiencing the exact same thing on Qlik Sense : an user with 'ADMIN' as ACCESS is still restricted.

yann_courtet
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

We have the same behavior and it took a while to understand how it works (since it doesn't worked the way it was written in the help).

If we don't want any reduction, we just use :

ADMIN, USERNAME,  (no value)

and not  
ADMIN, USERNAME, *

which returns all the values listed in the section access

Please note that the behavior is different with 
USER, USERNAME, (no value)

Which returns nothing.
So, we don't use USER but ADMIN for all users. If we want all the values, we use blank, otherwise, we specify the values