cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Filter Data by using a variable

(QLIK SENSE)

Hallo to all,

again there is a (hopefully easy) Problem I'm concerning of. I want to filter my data by using a variable. I've already read some threads about such a topic but can't adapt it to my problem, because i don't understand the way to use of $<xyz=...> which is often mentioned.

My Problem:

I have some Sheets. On one Sheet i have 5 buttons. Each button set the value of variable x to a different value for example 2012, 2013, ... . If i press one of these buttons, i will only get those data for example of the year 2013 (if i press Button 3). So i want to see only the customers who bough something in year 2013 in table 1. Or the orders made in 2013. I think you know what i mean. Is this possible?

Is it also possible to combine 2 buttons. If i use for example toggle buttons and different variables for each button, can i Filter customers, orders and the other data by 2 years so i get all data of e.g. 2012 and 2013 if these buttons are active?!

I hope you understand what i mean and that you know a way to realize it. Thanks a lot

Michael

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Can you give me an example or QVF ??

Not applicable
Author

One Simple Example:

I have a table with the dimensions PersonID, PersonName & Age and i've got a button. If i press the button, i'd like to select the PersonID "12345". I know that i could pick 12345 from the Column PersonID of the Table in this example, but i need a formular or another way, to solve the problem of my first post. If there is a way, to say Qlik Sense: ok, pls select the PersonID 12345, i need the syntax to do so, because this way i can solve future problems by just changing column names or so on

Thank you very much.

Not applicable
Author

The Set Analysis syntax would be something like:

SUM({$<

[PurchaseYear] = {'$(=vYearVariable)'}

>} [FieldToSum])

Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

But this way, I have to aggregate a measure. But I only want to select one or more values for a Dimension.

Not applicable
Author

Not exactly clear on what you need, but from my understanding of what you want, you could try an IF statement for your dimension:

IF([FieldToFilter] = vFilterVariable,[FieldToFilter])

then untick the "Show Nulls" in the dimension property.

Not applicable
Author

First of all: I'm very glad, that you try to help me, but unfortunately it's still not the solution

Next try:

I create a table inline:

table1:

load * inline [

id,name,age1

1,robert,23

2,maxi,44

3,peter,12

4,bella,56

5,hans,44

6,robert,12

7, hans,33

];

then put a table-extension on one sheet and set id, name and age as dimensions.

If i click e.g. on "robert", qlik sense filters the data ad-hoc, so that i can see only the lines

1,robert,23

6,robert,12

and the current selection on the grey filterbar over the white sheet "name: robert",

What I like to do is:

Instead of click on the item "robert", I want to click on a button (or even another object) and the current selection will be set to "name: robert". Is it possible to set a selection to that special one with a formular, where I can say: show me all data connected to that value --> This means, that the selection will be name=robert? If so, i could change "robert" to "hans", and the next time i click the button or another object, qlik sense will show all data which are connected to the name "hans" so in the grey filterbar appears the filter name : hans.

Of course, if i would have more data like adress, job title, and maybe some measures, they will also get filtered by that term, because Qlik Sense seems to set a "where clause" in the background, so there will be no data set for person "bella" shown.

Hope this was helpful!

alextimofeyev
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I don't think it is possible to do what you are asking for at the moment. I was looking for this kind of thing not so long ago, and the closest solution that I found was the Slider extension. By the way, did you know that there are lots of free extensions for QS at branch.qlik.com?

We may write an extension that does it some day, or maybe somebody else will.

Not applicable
Author

Perhaps an extension?

Qlik Branch

This one will let you set a filter by clicking a button.