Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lthurman
Partner - Contributor III

Formatting a date using the Expression Editor

Hello Qlik Sense Community,

I need to convert a date variable from this format 201701 to Jan 2017. I tried using Date and Date#, but instead of getting the short month and year, I only get the year. Our variable name is BillingDate and I use it like this:

Date(Date#(BillingDate, 'YYYYMM'), 'MMM YYYY')

I've also tried using MM as part of the output format, but I still only get the year. Any ideas as to where I may be going wrong?

Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lthurman
Author

Sorry, I forgot to follow up, but we finally figured it out. It seems that our original formula was trying to create a date from a string. We should have been trying to create a date from a number. The correct formula to create our MMM/YYYY date is:

=date(makedate(num(left(BillDate,4)),num(right(BillDate,2))),'MMM YYYY') where Billdate is a sring of the format, YYYY/MM.

Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
sunny_talwar

Are you sure BillingDate is formatted YYYYMM from the script? May be this is a front end format and the back end format is something else?

diegofcaivano
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Lorenzo,

Make sure you have these system variables correctly defined in your script.

SET LongMonthNames='Enero;Febrero;Marzo;Abril;Mayo;Junio;Julio;Agosto;Septiembre;Octubre;Noviembre;Diciembre';

SET MonthNames='Ene;Feb;Mar;Abr;May;Jun;Jul;Ago;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dic';

Regards.

lthurman
Author

I believe the format is the same. I'm actually loading the data from a QVD and if I just use BillingDate without any formatting, I get 201701, for example.

lthurman
Author

I did not have MonthNames defined in my script. I added them, but I still get the same result.

diegofcaivano
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

OK. Try to confirm that the original value is really a number by applying Num#() function to interprete it as such, and then checking its data-type in the model tables viewer or any other way.

lthurman
Author

I’ve looked at the Data Model Viewer and the data is formatted as stated above. I also tried using num# and the results are the same, year, no short month.

=Date(Date#(Num#(BillingPeriodVal), 'YYYYMM'), 'MMM YYYY')

sunny_talwar

What do you get when you load the data like this

Num(BillingDate) as Num,

Text(BillingDate) as Text

lthurman
Author

Can I do this in the load script that loads QVD’s? If so, how?

sunny_talwar

You can, just need to load like this

LOAD *,

Num(BillingDate) as Num,

Text(BillingDate) as Text

FROM NameOfTheQVD.qvd (qvd);