cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcQlikin
Contributor
Contributor

Help: Broken set analysis

I have a table that looks something like this. My goal is to display, by Department, the quarter-to-date sum of actuals, plus the remaining year's forecast, to arrive at the best-guess forecast for the year. For example, if current reported quarter is 2, I would need to sum Q1 + Q2 actual, plus Q3 + Q4 forecast 

Department

Quarter

Category1

Category2

Data

AA

Revenues

Actual

xxx

AA

Revenues

Forecast

xxx

AA

Expenses

Actual

xxx

AA

Expenses

Forecast

Xxx

BB

Revenues

Actual

xxx

My best attempt at this has left me with a working "forecast" expression, but dysfunctional "actual" expression. The forecast expression works beautifully, but for the actuals, whenever I click on a department or something on the sheet, it goes to zero. 

VNumber is a variable set to a certain number (1-4) to tell it which quarter we are reporting on. 

NOT working (to sum actuals): 

Sum({1<[Quarter]={"<=$(=num($(VNumber)))"}>*1<[Category1]={'Revenues'}>*1<[Category2]={'Actual'}>} Data) 

Working (to sum forecast):

Sum({1<[Quarter]={">$(=num($(VNumber)))"}>*1<[Category1]={'Revenues'}>*1<[Category2]={'Forecast'}>} Data)

Has anyone seen a problem like this?

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Jacek
Educator-Ambassador
Educator-Ambassador

Maybe this way:

1) Actual Expenses:

sum({<Quarter={"<=$(=$(VNumber))"}, Category1={"Expenses"}, Category2={"Actual"}>} Data)

2) Forecast Expenses:

sum({<Quarter={">$(=$(VNumber))"}, Category1={"Expenses"}, Category2={"Forecast"}>} Data)

3) Actual Revenues:

sum({<Quarter={"<=$(=$(VNumber))"}, Category1={"Revenues"}, Category2={"Actual"}>} Data)

4) Forecast Revenues:

sum({<Quarter={">$(=$(VNumber))"}, Category1={"Revenues"}, Category2={"Forecast"}>} Data)

-----------

Screen with example for Q=2:

QTD.png

mcQlikin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you. It still does the same thing - I break the data into two tables, one for the revenues and one for the expenses. When i click on a random department in the revenues table, the expression calculating actuals returns zero in the other table (the expenses table), but stays the same in the revenues table. and vice versa. 

Jacek
Educator-Ambassador
Educator-Ambassador

May I ask you to put example qvf or screen with this issue?

mcQlikin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Sure I've taken 3 separate screen shots (separated by the black lines". First one is the Actuals calculation for Revenues and Expenses, they look great! Second one is when I select one of the departments, the Revenues table still looks great, but the Expenses table goes to zero! The third screenshot is the same except I'm selecting something in the Expenses table, and you'll see that the Revenues table go to zero. example.jpg

Jacek
Educator-Ambassador
Educator-Ambassador

Did you try my expressions? I just tested for Expenses and not disappear. Question does all data come from one table ?

2019-01-22_09h14_04.png

mcQlikin
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yup I used your expressions and still the same thing, and the data is all from just one table. There are linked tables but those are for something else. Perhaps my Qliksense is broken 😞