Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with variable based dimension switching

I am using a variable based dimension switch on a Qlik Sense report as follows:

Dimension expression: [$(vDimLevel1]

The vDimLevel1 variable holds a string value of a field name, that is derived based on some other criteria, that I do not want to complicate this discussion with. So keeping it simple, this variable gets a field name (string), which then the expression converts to an actual field name.

It works!

It works just fine when I use it on a pivot table and also as a dimension in a chart.

Funny thing, Qlik Sense does not like it when I add such an expression, as a second dimension in any kind of visualization object.

The same exact expression works just fine when used as a second dimension in a Pivot table.

This is driving me crazy.

Is this a Product bug or do chart axes (2nd dimension) need a different format of $ expansion or something?

Plz help... plz plz plz

2 Replies
sunny_talwar

This is strange... would you be able to mock up a sample where we can see the issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This seems to be a bug, and is currently with Qlik support.

Also, looks like I missed an important part of the story.

This error does not occur, if I use static variables.

It happens when I used an expression in a variable and then use a dollar sign expansion with the variable, at run-time to switch dimensions. It throws an error, when using such in the 2nd dimension in a graph.