Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
afiedlerlizardi
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hide Sheet for User and show same sheet for NPrinting

Hi,

for a customer I have to create a Qlik Sense app which will be accessed directly by users and which will also be the basis for a NPrinting report.
In this app I am currently using a Trellis Container which is unfortunately not compatible with NPrinting.
So I need a work around which is now planned in creating a seperate sheet which is containing only one data object and which should only be visible for NPrinting. In NPrinting I will then using thie object for looping with one dimension.

Normally I can hide sheets with Sheet Level Access on User or User Group level.
But in NPrinting I plan to use Section Access so that NPrinting needs the user information to decide which data should be shown and which data should not be shown.
Now it´s not fuilly clear for me if Sheet Level Access could work to hide this one sheet in this scenario and it´s hard for me to test because the customer has not the same configuration on Qlik Test environment as on Qlik Prod environment.
Do someone of you know which User will be used for creating a NPrinting report with usage of Section Access?
Is this the Service User NPrinting is running with or is this the User for whom the report will be created?

Thank you very much for your feedback and your ideas for work arounds in advance.

Kind regards
Alex

Labels (3)
6 Replies
Steven_Haught
Creator III
Creator III

@afiedlerlizardi 

@Lech_Miszkiewicz should be able to help you.

You also can always check the Nprinting Forums located here: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/bd-p/qlik-nprinting-discussions

afiedlerlizardi
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi @Steven_Haught ,
thank yo very much for your reply.
I tried to add my request to the NPrinting queue, but this didn´t work for me.

@Lech_Miszkiewicz : Do you have an idea how I can solve my situation?

Kind regards
Alex

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I would have dedicated app only for nprinting

cheers

L

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
afiedlerlizardi
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi @Lech_Miszkiewicz,

thank you very much for the very fast response.
Your solution is exactly that scenario I wanted to avoid from maintenence perspective.
But if there is no other solution it looks like that we ca´t avoid this approach.

Kind regards
Alex

Spivey
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Seems like you could possibly have 2 sheets -- 1 with the Trellis and one with the data in a nPrinting-friendly visualization -- where, using a security rule, the first sheet can be seen by all users who are allowed to use the app and then the second sheet can only be seen by the nPrinting domain service account and you/other devs. Section Access could still be used like normal, with the nPrinting domain service account being set to Admin. On the nPrinting side, you could then set up the connection to respect Section Access, like so:

Screenshot 2020-11-11 163707.png

...where DOMAIN\user is the nPrinting domain service account. As long as the report recipients (read: destination user identities) are accounted for in the Section Access portion of your app load script, the data they see in the report(s) should be properly reduced. And when building the report in Designer, you should be able to see the Trellis alternative from the the hidden sheet.

I haven't actually tried this, though, so it's just a working theory.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @afiedlerlizardi 

Well, I dont have environment where I could implement solution for hidden sheets therefore I dont know if it would work. I am assuming you may get errors due to access issues when applying users for section access. This again is just theory. Now to add to my previous comment - It may also be a problem when you create duplicated app - there you will still want to use section access which means that users who are part of section access table should be able to view the page where objects are created.

With that in mind I am not sure now if my previous answer gives you anything but more doubths?

How about creating all objects for NPrinting in container in which you would:

• remove tabs (off)
  • remove menu (off)
  • remove navigation arrows (off)
  • show icons (off)

at the end make sure you use one object which normally is visible on the tab as the first one. That way you can semi-hide all NPrinting required objects so they don't appear for end users (or at least they are not visible at first glance). 

This is workaround I think I would use if separate application wouldn't work with section access. 

Summary:

Given that hidden sheets don't work (as per what you are describing) I am assuming separate app wouldn't work neither as both solutions are based on security groups.

Workaround - use container object. 

hope this helps

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.