Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
florian_bertsch
Contributor III
Contributor III

Historical and future values with restriction of filter

Hi Qlik community,

I aim at the following:

I load data for some calendar weeks in one fact table.

Some data are historical data and some date are future data.

Measure 1 --> available for

2018-32 --> past

2018-33 --> current

Measure 2 --> available for

2018-32 --> past

2018-33 --> current

2018-34 --> future

2018-35 --> future

When I load everything in one fact table, the filter shows every calendar week:

2018-32

2018-33

2018-34

2018-35

But the user should not be able to choose a calendar week in the future (only calendar weeks up to 2018-33). But the future values should be visible in some charts.

I think the only solution is to split Measure 2 in 3 measures?

Calendar Week | Value | Value Week+1 | Value Week+2

2018-32

2018-33

Best regards,

Florian

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think you could just use for your users a second week-field which is restricted to the past/current data - maybe with something like this: if(YourDateField > today(), null(), week(YourDateField).

- Marcus

mjamesking
Creator
Creator

Hi,

Include a field alongside your week dates that says whether it is 'Historic', Current' or 'Future'. Put an expression in your filter pane along the lines of

=If(Week_Type = 'Historic' OR Week_Type = 'Current', Week)

This will only include the Historic and Current dates in the pane

Then in your charts just use the week dimension and all weeks should get included

You could add a colour expression to your chart to colour the line (or bars) a different colour for the Future weeks

e.g.

= If(Week_Type = 'Future', RGB(255, 0, 0))

Week_Example.PNG

florian_bertsch
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Marcus,

I can't restrict my filter with your calculated dimension, because then getFieldSelections(filter) is not working. In the filter pane, I need the original week dimension.

Best regards,

Florian

florian_bertsch
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Matt,

I can't restrict my filter with your calculated dimension, because then getFieldSelections(filter) is not working. In the filter pane, I need the original week dimension.

Best regards,

Florian

mjamesking
Creator
Creator

Yeah, that won't work. Why are you retrieving the selections for the week dimension (out of curiosity)?

mjamesking
Creator
Creator

How about using

=Concat(Week, ',')

To retrieve the possible selections for Week, this will work with the calculated dimension filter

Matt

marcus_sommer

If you show the future weeks within the filter pane the user could (try) to select them - even if you restored the previous selection-state (in View you could use actions for it and I assume that there are some extensions in Sense which provide similar features) or if you exclude these values within your expressions (maybe with any set analysis) - it would not very user-friendly.

Therefore my suggestion about using a second specialized dimension - and picking the selected or possible dimension-values could be done with concat() or p().

- Marcus