Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to add fields to App Dimensions in the selections tool?

Is there a way to modify which fields/dimensions are shown in the App Dimensions section of the selections tool? I am aware that all fields appear when the "Show fields" is ticked, but that's simply too many. Also, I would prefer not to add an extra sheet which would only serve the purpose of adding fields to the selections tool, especially as one cannot hide sheets.

Here's some context: In an effort to move away from filter panes that take up valuable "screen real estate", I have started playing around with the selections tool. Many of the apps I've created in Qlik Sense mainly use variables as dimensions, which allows users to easily change the dimension in charts and tables. This practice, however, leaves the App Dimensions in the selections tool scarcely populated. As it stands, I'm not able to substitute the use of filter panes with the selections tool.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Lincoyan,

thanks for your reply. I am aware that using field as a dimension will add it to the selections tool. However, in many cases I use variables as dimensions, which allows users to select which dimension they want to see. For example in the image below, users can choose whether to look at Granted Rights (on the right) by Category, Sub Category or Product by having the buttons change the value of a variable (vGrantedRight). That variable is then used as a dimension in the table.

variable dimension.JPG

However, this leaves the fields (Category, Sub Category and Product) out of the selections tool. My question was meant to ask: is there a way to add fields into the selection tool, other than using the field as a dimension directly? Having looked into this, it seems that for the time being that isn't possible.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lincoyan
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi,

When you create a new dimension and select the field from field list, then it will be shown in the selections tool. If you type the field name in the expression editor then it will be treated as function, it gets the "=" sign before field name and it won't appear under App Dimensions on the selections tool.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Lincoyan,

thanks for your reply. I am aware that using field as a dimension will add it to the selections tool. However, in many cases I use variables as dimensions, which allows users to select which dimension they want to see. For example in the image below, users can choose whether to look at Granted Rights (on the right) by Category, Sub Category or Product by having the buttons change the value of a variable (vGrantedRight). That variable is then used as a dimension in the table.

variable dimension.JPG

However, this leaves the fields (Category, Sub Category and Product) out of the selections tool. My question was meant to ask: is there a way to add fields into the selection tool, other than using the field as a dimension directly? Having looked into this, it seems that for the time being that isn't possible.