Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpetrone
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to allocate tokens and give access to QlikSense Streams for Excel Uploaded Users

Hi,

I have been successful in uploading a group of users via the Excel (ODBC) data connector.  The Excel spreadsheet tabs have these columns:

User tab:

userid                       name

Attributes tab:

userid                       type                        value

When I click on Users from the QMC and search by user directory, I see these entries:

When I click on the information icon for one of the users that was uploaded I see this information.  Note: GROUP

I set up a User Access Rule on the QMC:

My assumption is that when a user is assigned the attribute of group=Brazil, a token will (automatically) be granted when the user logs in.  This is NOT the case.  In order to allocate the token, I have to click Allocate in User Access Allocations in the QMC.  Similar to the User Access Rule, I have the group=Brazil condition in one of the (Brazil) streams.  Again, I was assuming that if the user is assigned the attribute of group=Brazil, they will (automatically) have access to the stream.  That is NOT the case

What am I missing?  How do I get all the users that are uploaded in my Excel spreadsheet allocated a token and added to a stream without manual intervention?

Thank you in advance

Melodie

Chubb

3 Replies
srm12213
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Melodie Petrone,

Does all the Excel Users belong to any particular group ?

If they have a common attribute setup a User Access Rule to the common attribute.

If they don't have a common group, then add a new column in the excel to create a new group like eg: ExcelUsersgroup or  QlikUsersGroup

You can also create a new rule based on the "User Directory" in QMC

((user.userDirectory="EXCELODBCUDC"))

Let me know if this works for you

Thank you

Regards

Santosh M

mpetrone
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Santosh,

In answer to your questions:

Does all the Excel Users belong to any particular group ?   Yes, if you take a look at the screen shots above, you will see 5 users listed.  I expanded the properties of one of the users to show that they belong to the group Brazil.  The same is true for the other 4 users

If they have a common attribute setup a User Access Rule to the common attribute.  See the screen shot above that shows the access rule specifying GROUP=Brazil

If they don't have a common group, then add a new column in the excel to create a new group like eg: ExcelUsersgroup or  QlikUsersGroup.  -  The attributes tab of the spreadsheet shows 3 columns entitled userid type and value.  The TYPE field has the word GROUP and value TYPE.  Do you think I am using those values in the attributes tab correctly?

I think you can also create a new rule based on the "User Directory" in QMC - Yes, I thought of that, however, I would have to create a new UserDirectory connection for each 'group' of users I want to allocate tokens for.  I.E.  ExcelUsersGroupBrazil, etc.

I know I'm missing something obvious but can't see it

Melodie

srm12213
Contributor III
Contributor III

If one user is able to access it then the user access rule which you wrote is working fine.

I have noticed just now in your screenshots that the 4 users status is showing as "Yes" under the Inactive column in the properties and that is causing issue

Please check on that