Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drminaker
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to average hours between a start and end date?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with creating a chart that will show hours averaged over the duration of a start and end date?

I understand the basics of the master calendar and have created this. I've also been able to calculate the business days/hours between the start date and end date. My problem is that I can't figure out how to average the estimated hours across a span of months and get the months to show up on the chart.

I've been reading though a lot of the community posts and perhaps IntervalMatch is what I need to use, but not sure how to get that to work.

Thanks!

Source data:

StartDateEndDateEstimatedHoursProjectNameStaff
7/1/201511/30/2015500Project ABill
8/1/201509/30/2015300Project BBob

What I'd like my chart to look like:

b3397c6abf7341dda53884fd4dd6f02d.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I would consider breaking down the EstimatedHours to the smallest granularity needed using a WHILE loop, as demonstrated here:

Creating Reference Dates for Intervals

SET DateFormat = 'M/D/YYYY';

INPUT:

LOAD Recno() as ID, * INLINE [

StartDate, EndDate, EstimatedHours, ProjectName, Staff

7/1/2015, 11/30/2015, 500, Project A, Bill

8/1/2015, 09/30/2015, 300, Project B, Bob

];

ID_x_Dates:

Load ID,

EstimatedHours / (EndDate - StartDate + 1) as DailyEstimatedHour,

Date(StartDate + IterNo() -1 ) as ReferenceDate

Resident INPUT

While IterNo() <= EndDate - StartDate + 1 ;

Here I used a date as finest granularity, which you can easily aggregate to week / month / quarter using a master calendar connected to ReferenceDate. If you only need a Monthly view, you can also change the code to iterate over Months, not dates.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could try something like this:

sum(EstimatedHours) / count(distinct Month)

if you have connected your StartDate and EndDate with the master calendar: IntervalMatch.

- Marcus

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I would consider breaking down the EstimatedHours to the smallest granularity needed using a WHILE loop, as demonstrated here:

Creating Reference Dates for Intervals

SET DateFormat = 'M/D/YYYY';

INPUT:

LOAD Recno() as ID, * INLINE [

StartDate, EndDate, EstimatedHours, ProjectName, Staff

7/1/2015, 11/30/2015, 500, Project A, Bill

8/1/2015, 09/30/2015, 300, Project B, Bob

];

ID_x_Dates:

Load ID,

EstimatedHours / (EndDate - StartDate + 1) as DailyEstimatedHour,

Date(StartDate + IterNo() -1 ) as ReferenceDate

Resident INPUT

While IterNo() <= EndDate - StartDate + 1 ;

Here I used a date as finest granularity, which you can easily aggregate to week / month / quarter using a master calendar connected to ReferenceDate. If you only need a Monthly view, you can also change the code to iterate over Months, not dates.

drminaker
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks so much for this. I applied it to my real data and it works great! As Marcus mentioned, I was sure the solution had something to do with intervals, but just wasn't sure how it worked.

Another question for you -- if I wanted this to span the minutes/hours only over work days where would be the best place to apply Networkdays function? The loadscript, master calendar, custom dimension?

Thanks!

R.

drminaker
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for pointing me to that link. I'm determined to become expert on how all this works!

R.