Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Announcements
Coming your way, the Qlik Data Revolution Virtual Summit. October 27-29. REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Creator III
Creator III

How to create Morning and Afternoon fields in data load based on time of day?

My Time field is formatted as follows:

time(Date#(textBetween(observation_time,'Last Updated on ', 'P'),'MMM DD YYYY, hh:mm tt')) as Time

I would like to create another field that can have the values of Morning or Afternoon, depending on the Time field.  If the time is between 04:00:00 AM and 11:59:59 AM, then it is morning.  If it is between 12:00:00 PM and 5:00:00 PM, then it is evening.

Help is appreciated very much.  Thank you.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor III
Contributor III

You can build this as a master Item or in the data load:

= if( Time(Frac(observation_time))> '4:00:00 AM' and Time(Frac(observation_time))<'11:59:59 AM', 'Morning'
,if( Time(Frac(observation_time))> '12:00:00 PM' and Time(Frac(observation_time))< '5:00:00 PM', 'Evening','N/A'))

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor III
Contributor III

if(Wildmatch(YourTimeField,'*AM*'),'Morning','Afternoon') as "Morning | Afternoon"

ft42_0-1594669084508.png (example with Now())

Highlighted
Creator III
Creator III

Thank you for your reply.  That looks like it would be great for generic AM/PM filtering but we wanted specific time frames for Morning vs Afternoon.  Is there another approach that would provide that functionality?

Highlighted
Contributor III
Contributor III

You can build this as a master Item or in the data load:

= if( Time(Frac(observation_time))> '4:00:00 AM' and Time(Frac(observation_time))<'11:59:59 AM', 'Morning'
,if( Time(Frac(observation_time))> '12:00:00 PM' and Time(Frac(observation_time))< '5:00:00 PM', 'Evening','N/A'))

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Creator III
Creator III

That works; I was not aware of the Frac function so I learned something new today.  Thanks!