Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damienregad
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to use a KML file's ExtendedData ?

I have a KML file which contains structured extended data (Schema / SimpleField) linked to each Placemark (polygon), looking like this:

<SchemaData schemaUrl="#kml_schema_ft_test">

<SimpleData name="OBJECTID">37</SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="NOM">Le Renfort</SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="NO_COM_FEDERAL">6604</SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="NO_COMM">4</SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="CODE_SECTEUR">00</SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="SECT_VILLE"> </SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="NUMERO">0400050</SimpleData>

<SimpleData name="CODE_SOUS_SECT">050</SimpleData>

</SchemaData>

See attached sample file.

I would like to use this extended data in QlikSense, but when I import the KML file, it only recognizes 3 fields:

• sample.Name (the placemark's name)
  • sample.Point (always empty - where is this coming from ?)
  • sample.Area (this is the polygon defined in my file, i.e. the shape I want to use)

The related data fields are nowhere to be found.

Is it possible to retrieve the KML extended data in QlikSense ? How ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Damien

13 Replies
mikegrattan
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Robert,

I'm interested in using your R script to reformat a KML (SHP) file in order to create columns for "Ranch", "Lot", and "Grower" from the attached file.  Would you be able to help me revise your script so it will work with this file?

Thanks!

abhalla2
Contributor II
Contributor II

Read .KML file using .xml format, you would information in various tables, just import the one you want.

Thanks!

colinfly88
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

I believe this should be the correct answer (Abhalla2 provided) unless there is a better way. Reading the KML as an XML will allow you to access the additional data. You may need to add logic in your load script to transform/normalize the data, but I've never had issues going this route.

JossMatthias
Contributor
Contributor

More simple would it be to convert the kml to csv and then import both files and join them. Then you'll have all data with a simple script.