Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Announcements
Coming your way, the Qlik Data Revolution Virtual Summit. October 27-29. REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Partner
Partner

Is it possible to get a cartesian product in a chart expression?

I'm currently trying to create a line chart that will show as a percentage the accumulated number of an event type over the accumulated total of events to date. Basically, on any given date I want to see the percentage of all event types that have occurred up to the given date.

I've attached a .qvf file with sample data to showcase what I mean. For testing purposes, I am just using a straight table that I created. I was able to figure out parts of the problem but then I realized I was missing something.

Straight TableStraight Table

As you can see above, I have a straight table with two dimensions: EventDate and EventType. For each of these I have calculated the accumulated total number of events that have occurred for each event type at each given date and I have calculated the accumulated total number of events for each date. Looking at the first date, you can see that 100% of the event types by that date were 1. For the second date, 50% of the total events were 1, 25% were 3, and 25% were 5. The idea is that you will be able to see how much each event type builds in to the total. And every date should add up to 100%.

The problem that I found was that by 7/23/2019, the expected values should be:

Event TypeCount to DateAccumulated % of Total
1240%
2120%
5120%
7120%

But instead, I only see Event Type 7 at 20%. In order to get the behavior that I want, I need to repeat every event type that has occurred so far as a dimension. The first thing that came to mind was to have a cartesian join, but on my actual table I am dealing with a lot more dates and a lot more event types, which would result in way too much data. And so I was wondering if it was possible to create a similar effect within a chart? In my chart, there will be a much smaller amount of event types and dates to work with, so I'm not too worried about that.

BONUS: If anyone can tell me why the Total to Date expression sometimes returns the accumulation in the last row instead of the first row, I would appreciate it 😁. The solution I had was to do if(Not IsNull(Top(...)), Top(...), Bottom(...)). It just seems that I'm not understanding something about it.

0 Replies