Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elijahabel
Contributor III
Contributor III

Is referencing columns in formulas as [column name] valid?

I've noticed that in Qlik sense, you can directly reference other columns in your calculation by inserting [column name] into a formula. My issue is that any time you do this, you always get a red outlined formula box indicator, even though the numbers are coming correctly. Is there a case in which this will not work? The red outlining leads me to believe it's unstable, but so far it seems like it works. Should I avoid using it this way?

Example:

Col1Col2[Col1]-[Col2]
13-2

The calculations will be correct, but the expression box for [Col1]-[Col2] will have a red outline indicating it is invalid.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

From what I know from QlikView, column reference doesn't work with Aggr() function. Otherwise it should work without issue

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sunny_talwar

From what I know from QlikView, column reference doesn't work with Aggr() function. Otherwise it should work without issue

elijahabel
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the input! This clears up why it is highlighted. Do you know of any non-static way to refer to columns in calculations? I know that Column(0)-Column(1) would also work here, but if we have self-service capabilities, this means the users cannot move rearranged columns without messing up calculations.