Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Market share & growth over time

Hello Qlik community,

I started Qlik few weeks ago after some experience on a competitor solution in 2009. Transition is not that easy .

After running through the forum I already found several answer to some basic questions but I failing to create charts and pivot tables containing Year or month to visualize market share or growth. I manage to do it for a specific period of time in KPI (but not working if I change the time filter, however it is not an issue so far).

For the market share, I tried to use "sum([Sales]) / sum(TOTAL [Sales])" but it is giving me the % of a specific point versus the total of all points appearing on the chart. Regarding the growth, all the formula I tested are giving me error or 0% or 100% or -100% ==> TOTAL failure.

Basically, I'm trying to have similar chart as below.

MS example.png

Growth example.png

I also attached a sample of my database for reference

Thanks in advance for the guidance

regards

PierreMT

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

May be you are looking for this:

Sum([Sales]) / Sum(TOTAL <Date> [Sales])

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be you are looking for this:

Sum([Sales]) / Sum(TOTAL <Date> [Sales])

Capture.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny T,

Thanks for your support.

Just tried, but it is giving me a market shares below 5% each month while I have 7 companies. I guess it is also dividing by the total of the points.

QS answer.PNG

sunny_talwar

For Growth, what is your way of calculating growth in the Excel file?

Not applicable
Author

Sunny T,

Thats quite strange I copy paste your formula in Qlik Sense and it is not working it showed what I you see above. Still checking

Regarding the growth I usually do : =iferror([Actual value]/[Last year value] -1,0)

ecolomer
Master II
Master II

Not applicable
Author

Sunny T

I found out why it didnt works for the market share, I was using a Master item dimension as X axis which add a different name as 'Date'. I change my axis and it worked. But if I use a Master item dimension as X axis and the same one in the formula it doesn't works. I presume it is normal as I can't select the master item in the formula fields.

Waiting for some solution on the growth

Not applicable
Author

Enrique,

Thanks also for your support.

It is indeed a very nice way to present the market share (it also helped me to found out why Sunny T's solution didn't worked), I will consider such presentation for some reports.

In case you have genius idea like this for growth, I'm interested

regards

PierreM T

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Any idea for the growth?

Standard formula is: [Reference value] / [Previous value] -1

Reference value could be a month or a year

Previous value could be the same month of last year or previous month

Thanks in advance