Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Announcements
BARC’s The BI Survey 19 makes it official. BI users love Qlik. GET REPORT
valpassos
Contributor

Modelling different start/end dates of stages

Hi community 🙂

I'm trying to track the progress/flow of a product inside a warehouse until it leaves it. I have these stages the product goes through:

Order picking
Packing
Verification
Sent
Completed

I have a start and end date for which of these stages, and I'd like to answer the following questions:
- What is the duration (in days) from when a document starts the "Order Picking" stage until it gets to the Packing stage?
- What is the duration (in days) from when a documents exits the Packing stage and starts the Verification stage?
and so on...

Any ideas of how this process should be modelled in the script?
Like, should I create a Product_Stage_Start_Date and Product_Stage_End_Date for each stage, left joining all to the fact table?

If somebody knows any better approach, please let me know. 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

Labels (3)
2 Replies
marcus_malinow
Valued Contributor III

Re: Modelling different start/end dates of stages

Hi Lisa,

I don't know what volume of data you're looking at so this might be too resource heavy for you, but what I'd do is create a fact table based on each event type

Order Picking Start

Order Picking End

Packing Start

Packing End

etc, etc

Add a 'Stage Type' field containing 'Order Picking', 'Packing', etc for easy filtering

Add a 'Start / End' flag to indicate whether it's the start or end of a stage

Optionally, if it's an End event, add a Duration field

Add a single date field relating to the date of the event

This should make it pretty simple to do your calculations 

valpassos
Contributor

Re: Modelling different start/end dates of stages

Hi @marcus_malinow ,

Thanks for your input! I'll put that solution in practice, but indeed the volume of data is huge. Is there any other approach more resource-friendly?

Lisa