cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WiscoSippi
Creator
Creator

Number Formatting Expression Works in PivotTable but not Line/Bar Chart

Howdy! This expression is included in my master item to return a number format based on certain conditions in the visual or selections. It works perfectly in my PivotTable but doesn't work at all in the line or bar chart. All charts have the measure set to "auto" number formatting.  However, when I replace the function with a standard format, such as '#,##0.0%', it works in the line & bar charts. Any ideas why my custom expression doesn't work in the line/bar chart but does in the pivottable?

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Labels (3)
2 Replies
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

That might work ok for individual values for value labels, but there is only one y axis on these charts, so it can't change based on individual values.

WiscoSippi
Creator
Creator
Author

Lisa, 

I appreciate the quick response. In the bar or line chart, only one type ($ or %)  of values should be shown at any one time. $ and % will never be mixed but can be one or the other depending on what dimensions are included in the visual. Conditional statements within the measure determine what format encoding to return. Are you saying that bar/line type visuals are able to decipher those conditional formatting statements the same way the PivotTable does?

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry