Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valpassos
Creator III
Creator III

Proper way to KPI gathering?

Hi community,

This is more of a functional question than a technical one.

I was asked, by the customer, to do a gathering of all the KPIs present in a Qlik Sense application (more like 5 applications). The primary 'champion' on the project, the one who understood the business mostly, has left the house and a new person is in charge of leveraging Qlik Sense - but he doesn't know what is showing in the applications because we have litte documentation, the business rules are fuzzy, etc.

So, I'm currently doing an Excel file with various columns: the KPI name, formula, where does it come from (database tables and fields), and what filters are being applied on the Extraction level, as well as Model and Application's level. The functional description (business case) is being omitted in various KPIs since we don't know the business logic that derived it.

What I want to ask you is: is there a way to streamline this process? We are talking about more than 80 KPIs. The same KPI is used in various objects/applications, but with some twerks, like the time period it refers to. And not only that: one KPI can be composed of various, smaller, KPIs, and I have a line for each of those tiny KPIs. But this implies there is a lot of repetition of tables and fields,... Kinda cumbersome!

What can I be doing in a more efficient way? I just want to know some best practices regarding this type of documentation.

Many thanks in advance!

Lisa

Labels (4)
3 Replies
ashok_rajm
Contributor III
Contributor III

I think you can use Document Analyzer to see all KPI's used, what are the related fields to the KPI, what are the tables associated, what variable used and so on. This can help in high level to understand the all the dashboards you have..

QS Document Analyzer: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Sense-App-Development/Qlik-Sense-Document-Analyzer-V1-1-Released/...

Hope this helps.

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Ashok,

I didn't think of that tool! That could help, yes. Although the tables and fields I'm gathering concern more the ones coming from database (extraction level), not the ones Qlik-generated.

But that tool certainly will help me with the 'logistics'.

Thanks!

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

If anyone wants to share any other tip/best practice regarding this type of documentation, please enlighten me 🙂